Replacement Speaker Suggestion for Jet City 1 x 12 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WhiskeyBro, Feb 17, 2012.

1. WhiskeyBro

WhiskeyBro Member

Had my first rehearsal with the G n' R tribute band I just joined last night (I'm playing Izzy). This was also the first time I was able to really turn up my recently purchased JCA20H and matching 1x12 cab. First off it was really cool that I was able to keep up volume-wise with the guy playing lead as he's playing through a Peavey 5150 Head with Marshall 1960A cab. However, it was quickly apparent that my amp sounded like it had a blanket over it and was just not cutting through the mix as it should. I had the Gain about 1/2 way up the EQ was set relatively flat with a bit of boost in the mids and highs, Master was 1/2 way up and Presence was about 3/4 the way up. The lead player also had a Hughs & Kettner 4x12 (not one of the crazy expensive ones) that has Celestion 70/80's in it. I plugged into that and it was like playing through a different amp. It cut through the mix perfectly and had pretty much the tone I was going for. Now, was this because I was pushing more air (4 speakers compared to 1) or would changing out the speaker in the Jet City 1x12 be a good idea? I'm thinking maybe a G12H30 or a Vintage 30 might help things open up a bit more. Keep in mind the amp is totally stock now too. I don't want to really get into doing any mods to it but definitely plan on upgrading the tubes in the near future. Your suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

2. stump

stump Member

The stock speaker will break in and sound better over time. Moving 4 speakers is a big difference compared to 1 speaker. The type of speaker effects it too. I've tried a variety of speakers in my JCA 112 but ended up staying with the stock speaker. I use a 212 or 412 sometimes and the change in volume and tone is cool. For jamming around the house and cramped stages the stock cab is fine. Of the speakers that I tried in the cab I liked the Eminence Swamp Thang best. I tried the Swamp Thang, V30, G12H30 and a Fane/Hiwatt 75 watter.