Replacement Speakers-Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by darkarbiter7, Jul 5, 2008.

1. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Hey,
    I have a Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse 4x10 combo and I am planning on going for a set of speakers to finish the amp off.
    The stock speakers are Jensen C10Q Reissues, which I am not really a fan of. They seem to have ice-picky highs, with too much midrange and too little bass. I've had other people agree with me.

Now, I need some recommendations for replacement 10" speakers. I want a later speaker breakup point, with a clear top end, balanced midrange, and beefy lows.
    I play american blues only with this amp (I have other amps for heavier styles of music).
    Not too sure on budget yet, but no more than 100 USD per speaker.

I can go for a combination of 2 or more different speaker models, if it would be advantageous.

Thanks!

2. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Sorry for the bump, but I need some good recommendations pretty soon.
    I'm not keen on speakers, so I'm kind of clueless what to go for.
    I just know that the speakers I have in now are too bright and honky, and I want something more balanced.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Email Ted Weber. He's honest and will suggest a couple different models.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

Two Eminence combinations I have used and really like include:
    • Ragin' Cajun + Legend 1058 in a Vibrolux Reverb - excellent American combination - definitely hits all your points.
    • Ramrod + Copperhead in a 2x10 cab paired with a Heritage Colonial - less American but still hits all your points. The Copperhead is a real spanker, so if you're shy about that you could swap in Legend 105s for the Copperheads.
    I like both the Ramrod and the Cajun - both beefy, balanced, dynamic loud speakers. The response curves are almost the same - I would not recommend pairing the Ramrod with the Cajun for that very reason. The Copperhead adds a real spanky, tight upper mid that complements either one. Hard to go wrong with any of those speakers, but if you want to stick to a true American flavor, the Ragin' Cajun and Legend are probably most in that ballpark.

I've heard pretty good things about the Hemp (Li'l Buddy) and the new Red Fang but haven't researched them thoroughly. Eminence speakers rock.

From research I did a few years ago:
    http://www.alaska.net/~jimbeck/guitars/Eminence_Speaker_Comparisons_and_Info_TGP_10_inch.htm

5. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

On another forum, I was recommended a Ragin Cajun and Copperhead combo. Do you think that would be what i'm looking for?
    I'll get around to emailing Ted, too.

6. doc

doc Member

Ted makes some great speakers. The Emis are very good too. Based on what you say you're going for, I'd strongly recommend checking out the Lil Buddy. It has a present but smooth treble, strong lows, and mildly prominent mids but not too present like some British voiced speakers. It can be slightly too polite. I'd probably consider a mix of 2 Buddies and 2 Ragin Cajuns.

7. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Alright.
    I do want a clearer top end, but not harsh.
    I know I definitely want a pair of RC's, but i'm not sure about the other 2 spots.
    I'm still kind of flip-flopping between the Lil Buddys, Legends, and the Copperheads for the other 2 spots, but I'm open to anything really.

8. doc

doc Member

Well, you know which column to put my vote into.

9. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Alright, i'll do a bit of research.
    While i'm looking around, more recommendations would be nice.

10. ccuwan

ccuwan Member

I'm just now finishing a 4x10 pine cab. I play blues as well and wanted a Super Reverb type sound. I bought a set of alnico CTS 10s from a SFSR. The owner had mounted a pair a copperheads and a pair of rajun cajun in the SR so he sold me the original speakers. Just mounted them today and they are outstanding....need more time though to discover the various nuances of the CTS but so far so good....... Had the CTS option not come up, I had decided on the copperhead/cajun combo. Couldn't pass the opportunity to grab a set of 71 SFSR drivers though.....might never get another opportunity other than to buy the SR itself.

This is the cab....pretty rough right now but will match the Super 60 on top when done.
    http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm472/ccuwan/?action=view&current=DSC05480.jpg

When you make up your mind, please report back what you bought and how you like them. This speaker thing is addictive.....Ray

11. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Alright, thanks!
    I'll keep an eye out for older speakers, too.

I was looking into Ted Weber's Chicago Vintage line. These look like CTS Clones, but they're not released yet, and i'll email Ted to see if he recommends them for my particular amp.

I will report back. Speakers can be addicting, but I like playing around with tubes more. They're easier to handle and aren't as tedious to install.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Wow, you just described the Eminence Lil' Buddies to perfection. Kinda scary actually :)

13. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

^Hmm.

After looking at Emi's tone guide PDF, I can see that the Lil Buddies look good for me.

But, I don't want to go for a full quad of the same speaker model (I'm just like that, I prefer combinations of speakers).
    So, how does a combination of 2 Buddies + 2 Ragin Cajuns sound?

14. joel98z

joel98z Member

Personally have not tried that combo but it sounds good.. Although I wonder if the RC might over power the buddies a bit...

15. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Eminence Legend 1028K.

$50 a pop at Angela Instruments. Great speakers.

16. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

Hmm... what do you mean by "overpower"?
    I know that the RC's have higher wattage handling, but i'm just not quite sure what you mean.

And sonic:
    How does that deal in your sig work? I won't have a use for my C10Q's after this speaker swap...

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Nah it's not the power, it's the sensitivity you need to look at. That's how loud the speaker is with 1 watt going into it.

And actually the Cajun and Buddies would work well because the Cajuns are rated at 99.1db and the Buddies are 100db.

A poor match for instance would be the Delta Demon and Lil' Buddy. The Demon is rated at 96.9db, a full 3db lower than the Buddy...meaning that the Buddy is TWICE as loud as the Demon with the same power..therefore overpowering it.

The Ramrod would also be a good match. The sensitivity numbers are pretty much identical and they sound totally different from each other.

18. ccuwan

ccuwan Member

I looked at the Weber Chicago stuff too. Really looks interesting but as you say not available yet.

I also have a SF Champ that I own about 6 different power tubes for so I fell into the tube trap too. Although tougher to compare with installation and all, I find that speakers make a larger difference.

I got my education from the 80s consumer electronics industry and I remember how important the speakers and speaker cabinets were to the sound quality. Speakers (and their cabs) were the "weak link" in the hifi chain. Only the cartridge in a turntable had as much influence over the ultimate sound. Speakers and cartridges were the conversion points in the system where mechanical energy was converted to electronic or the opposite. Rule of thumb was, spend half your budget on speakers and the other half on everything else.

The musical amplifier industry alternatively, has put all the emphasis on the electronics....speakers are almost an afterthought. Fender in their vintage stuff used multiple speaker suppliers and the cab size was determined by the electronics requirement and economical slicing up of a piece of wood. The Deluxe Reverb actually came in different cabinet sizes in different years.

I'm trying to think this tone thing through from a speaker perspective. I'm using a basic push/pull 60w amp. The speaker cab however is solid pine (even the baffle board). There are no screws in the cab other than those holding the speakers in place and the baffle board is dadoed into the sides and top for a tight connection. I am constructing a removable sealing back panel for the cab to hear what sonic changes take place when its installed. I guessing that without proper muting material in the sealed cab it will sound like crap but who knows unless you try. I willing to bet Fender never did as sealing the cab would make the SR heavier, run hotter and not be as loud.

Anyone that has ever played an acoustic guitar knows that the sound you hear live cannot be accurately recorded and reproduced....or amplified in fact. The same is true for amplified sound only the musical part of the process is the final stage, the speaker cabinet. I believe that the resonance and character of a great speaker cab cannot be recorded and is the ticket to the elusive tone we all speak of.

I believe that as musicians we are far too quick to ignore the speaker part of this process and I'm always curious to hear what others have learned.

You have purchased a superb looking amplifier and I'm betting that when you upgrade the speakers you will hear a huge improvement, even more then were you to change the tubes or in fact go to an different head unit (assuming its the same basic tube configuration).

Obviously I'm fairly opinionated but hopefully its just my personal creativity finding another vent.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.....Ray

19. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

That was a nice read :)

Yeah, I have toyed around with my tube lineup to the point where it sounds very good to my ears. Now, I just want to get some speakers to get the tone closer to my tastes.

I can't wait to see how my amp turns out after a speaker swap, too.

20. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Silver Supporting Member

I think this would be a great combo. In my Vibrolux, I was worried the RC would over-power the Legend, but that has not been the case, and I suspect that would also be the case with the RC/Buddy combo. If you try the Buddies and think they're too dark/too smooth sell 'em (or keep 'em), and toss in the Legends.