Replacement Tele bridge for import?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone make nice replacement parts specific to import (ie. cheap) guitars? I want to try and replace the 6 saddle Tele bridge with a better one (or possibly 3 saddle) but there are only 3 mounting holes vs. the 4 hole mounting bridges that abound everywhere... I believe the string spacing is 2 1/8".

2. Gasp100

Hmmm... been GOOGLING for quite a while and have yet to find a replacement bridge that mounts with 3 screws vs. 4 (Gotoh or other brand).

3. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

4. Gasp100

Yeah, I guess that's it... damn, $115? That's more than 1/2 the price of the guitar? Anything a tad cheaper out there? I will keep this one in mind though. Thanks!

5. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

I didn't realize prices have gone up. Think I paid $70 or so a few years ago. The price of a pedal, well, not on this board, but a one-time charge that has made a world of difference on my Tele.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

who cares about the mounting holes? as long as the string holes and the pickup rout line up, you can just drill new holes. (that callaham is for an american standard tele and probably wouldn't fit anyway.)

7. Gasp100

I was thinking the same. I hate to drill through the guitar (I bought it for the excellent look and finish of the body) but it would all be covered anyway. This bridge looks to be very specific to the Am standard series Fender Tele. So, what's the only (or most important) measurements for this if you take mounting holes out of the equation? Just measuring the string spacing from low E to high E (I think mine is 2 1/8", but I'll double check).
    Also, can I easily switch out a 6 saddle for 3 saddle? Mine is a string through body type.

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

9. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You can do what I did if you're handy with a drill press and a ruler - get a compensated saddle set layout three holes for it on the back of the plate and drill holes for the new saddles. I did this to a Squier Tele custom and the results were very satisfying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Gasp100

I don't have a drill press so that is out. I think I have a bigger problem(s). I received my mighty mite neck today and I'm impressed. Great maple back and rosewood fretboad, decent fret job, and the key is that it fits in the neck pocket LIKE A GLOVE (better than the original neck did for sure). So, I installed it, installed the tuners and strung it up. Strings D,G,B,E were buzzing away like crazy (sounded like a sitar). So, I went straight to plan B of installing the 2 string tree's from the orignal neck. Better (even though the first one is slightly off center, my bad :mad:) but the D still crimps up a bit and the high E when open is just dead. When I fret, they both sound fine, but open? No way.
    So, is this pinching within the nut and do I dare try and file it open a bit for those strings (the nut is plastic by the way). A bigger problem is that the high E string is much closer to the end of the fretboard then the low. It's not terrible, but even with my GFS fatboy tele pup (extra large pole pieces) the low E is dead center, the high E is right above the very edge/corner of the pole piece. This just seems to be bridge related vs. neck related. I'm quite certain is was similar to this before I replaced the neck.
    Time for a pro maybe?
    :rolleyes: