Replacement tubes arent always better..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DanHorse, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

So, I have an Orange TT combo, had it for a few years now.

As most peopledo, i thought it might be time for a change of preamp tubes, maybe i could get better sound etc from the stockones. So i bought some JJs then some Tung-Sols.

Oh dear. The JJs made the amp more muffled sounding, i could see how they would work in a brighter amp, smooths things too.

The Tung Sols, wow, how flat and harsh are they! any elastic tube sound went south, it sounded like a solid state.

So, back in went the stock ones, much better. Orange did a good job matching the tunes to the TT, so beware, not all changes to stock tubes are better (unless you want to spenta lot on NOS etc i guess).

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like Sovtek 12AX7LPS preamp tubes. I think they sound the best of all of the new ones.

3. Chukster

Chukster Member

I have 3 amps that went that way as well: After tons of tube swapping,3 different amps ended up with stock Sovteks and sounded great: I can only think that I got crazy swapping for the "last 2%", and was listening too hard.

4. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

They aren't always better, even if it's the same brand, even when they are burned-in.

5. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

Yes tubes can (as you discovered) help or hurt an amp. It's really comes down to time...I have a big box of tubes that I switch around in my personal amp and have a notebook where I write down what tubes are where and what effect they seem to have on my amp,different makes in different positions do effect the "tone" sometimes it even takes several tries with a particular brand of tube to find one tube of that brand that seems to open up that particular stage in my amp . Time consuming but I enjoy it.

6. Onioner

Onioner Member

Yup. The Dual Terror I once had was the only amp I've known that didn't like the old glass, at least in the preamp. Oddly, I thought it worked best w/ JJ AXs. Never messed with the power tubes though. That said, I only tried a few different tubes, maybe four or five different OS, the JJs, and the stock tubes.. The stock whatever they weres, and the JJs, were the clear winners. The others (all great tubes), kinda turned it into sludge.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

There are always the "tinkerer" types. They're the ones that tear into their amps the minute they get them, taking pictures, googling over them, etc... Hell, I think some of them hop on the internet and start asking about mods before they ever turn the damn thing on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with. If that's your thing, go for it. After all, it's *your* amp.

That said, I've never understood what drives people to have to tinker with everything they come into contact with. If the amp doesn't sound good out of the box, I don't buy it to begin with. There's a gazillion amps and amp builders, both production and boutique. I've never had a hard time finding one I like. Additionally, if I like it enough to buy it, that means I like it a lot so the last thing I'd do is take it home and start F'ing with it? I'd play the damn thing 'til my fingers bled. Then, I'd get on the internet and declare "NGD For Me". Lol

Anyway, as I said, there's enough room in the world for all types so whatever floats your boat I says. :)

8. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I used to be like that. Now I only make changes if the guitar/amp/bike/woman aren't doing what I want it to do. Unfortunately you really can't modify a woman. They do it to themselves but almost never is there a noticeable improvement. It's best to replace them on a regular basis. You know, keep yer, um, tube fresh.

9. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

JJs are soo over rated. Duller sounding valve

10. ken374

ken374 Member

tungsol might of been bad, always works for me as a v1 in my amps, JJ 83 blow

11. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Which JJs? ECC83S? ECC803S?

I never liked the JJ ECC83S (high gain tube) in my VOX AC15 amps, but I love the ECC803S (lower gain) gold pin tubes.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Does someone rate them highly? ;)

13. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Not the 12ax7s but the El84s get a high rating. I prefer Shuguangs by a mile though.