Replacement tubes, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by omfg51, Feb 25, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I'm going to re-tube my Traynor YCV40 soon and I'd like to ask what people like to run for tubes. It's had 2 JJ tesla 6L6 power tubes and 3 JJ tesla ECC83 preamp tubes.

I really do like the way these all sound together because it gives the tone a really nice evenness in frequency. No one single frequency is boosted above the other, making the tone very smooth.

I was planning on getting some more JJ tesla tubes, but I'm curious, what do you all prefer? I want to retain the same evenness in the sound and frequency, so please try to make suggestions that would fit that.

By the way, this amp is NOT supposed to be a gain monster, I like it to be able to get some real good rock crunch, but nothing more.

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Does it have good iron so it can accept European filament current draw, which is 1.3-1.5A compared to the .9A of the 6L6GCs? If it does you could try the new 6CA7s which are possibly even broader sounding and not quite as dark. For pre-amps there are the short plate version and the long plate version. Not sure which of the two you got in there.

3. mikemtm

mikemtm Member

For dependability you cannot beat JJs. If you like the current sound, stay with them. If you like the sound of your amp now you may be disappointed if you switch.

I have used Tung Sols, SEDs, Rubys, EH, Groove Tubes, etc. If you feel that the sound is being colored by the JJs too much try Sovteks. I like them in power amps and I am pretty sure they are stock tubes on Traynor. (Someone at Traynor would be able to tell you for sure.) If you have to try something different you might also consider TADs (Tube Amp Doctor) If you are looking for more classic tones and less heavy metal gain these may be your answer.

4. JTJ

JTJ Supporting Member

Tung Sol 6L6's are a great tube. TAD are good too, I have had both in my Prosonic and they both beat the crap out of the sovteks that came in it. The TAD sound is rocking but the Tung Sols seem a little better rounded overall. The differences in the tubes is not really noticeable at low levels, but at stage levels with the amp a little less than halfway open up there definitely is a difference in how the amp drives.

5. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I drive my amps pretty hard, so the difference will be there.

6. golfnutt67

golfnutt67 Member

I had the TAD's in my YCV40 and thought they sounded great