Replacement Tune-o-matic Bridge? (Gibson SG Standard)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Godspeed64, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Just wondering, any recommended bridge to change to? My current stock ABR-1 is extremely worn out.

I've NEVER changed bridges before so I have close to zero knowledge available.

From my past week of snooping around, I've heard about:
    Wilkinson
    Gotoh
    Callaham
    Tone Pros
    Schaller
    Babicz

Not sure what else is around. :huh

2. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

For ABR-1, Callaham. I believe the current SG Standard's come stock with a Nashville bridge.

3. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Just make sure that with your current (Nashville) bridge, you don't already have any strings maxxing out the travel (usually the 6th and/or third strings) - the ABR-1 has a narrower range, and you'd likely have a problem w/ intonation.

In that case, the Gotoh Nashville would be my next choice.

4. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

I like the schaller Nashville myself,you don't have to deal with the retainerspring that holds the saddle and there is more mass for better sustain.

5. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

So SG Standards come with a Nashville instead of an ABR-1?

Hmm that changes things!

6. slydgtrplyr

slydgtrplyr Member

They came with both depending on the year. Modern ones come with the nashville unless it is a vintage reissue then it would have a abr-1. It really depends on the posts in the body as to what you can use. If it has the screw post you would have to stay with the abr-1 replacement as the nashville has the press in bushings that the thumbwheel screws into. Can you post a Pic?

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

A lot of people like the Gotoh. Does Gibson make and sell replacements of their tuneomatic? They seem hard to find. If you liked the tone of the original you may want to stick with that.

8. sebbio7

sebbio7 Member

Callaham has posts for both the ABR1 and nashville bridges.

9. g-mane

g-mane Member

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Any comments on:
    Wilkinson
    Gotoh?

They are the easiest to obtain locally. Harder to find but interesting to me as well are Callaham and Babicz bridges!

11. epluribus

epluribus Member

Quick question...you guys are aware that the Callaham is a steel TOM? Not saying that's bad, it's really cool IMHO. But compared to all the other mfgrs mentioned, all of whom are using cast-zinc alloy, the sound is in a category of its own. (I have a Callaham on a heavily modded Steinberger, and it's a really terrific system...quite the change in tone and sustain.) Both metals are great for TOM's, and I own mostly the zinc variety myself...just a way of saying one isn't necessarily better, just that it's another available tone-shaping tool.

BTW, TonePros...they definitely are an improvement over the rattle of most OEM TOM systems, which is a big deal for me. Lotta folks report hearing improved sustain as well, but I can't vouch for that one...I don't hear a huge difference that way, but that could well be just my ears. Also, be aware that, according to several sources here on TGP, that the TonePros bridges are actually Gotoh's with professional modifications, done under license. (Correct me on this one if I'm not saying it right, guys. Thx.) Of the two, if you just want the bridge, get the Gotoh...if you want the rattle-killing mods, get the TonePros.

Or get one of the other suggestions, very nice list here thus far. :beer

--Ray

12. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Yes, but the bridge will be an ABR-1 as in it won't be as wide as the Nashville. I installed one on a customer's R8, nice guitar before, much better acoustically after.