REplacement tuners for Epiphone Dot

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pfflam, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I want to get some stable, solid Kluson style tuners for my Epiphone dot not a studio) but want to make sure I get the proper bushing size and everything right the first time: what should I look for?

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I put a set of Sperzel TrimLoks on my Dot last week and have them on my other Dot. No problems on the install. Template comes with the new tuners and it's an easy drill job. I ordered them through Stew-Mac

3. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

plain old fashioned grovers give me that old timey feel from the heyday of Dots

in general the newer, heavier, "tighter" [engineered, machined] tuners have a different feeling and sound from the older, junkier tuners. for strats i love the new stuff but for me on anything like a Dot/335 i like the old Grovers

I have a couple sets of wilkinson tuners on homemade, vaguely-gibson styled guitars (LP and SG styles but different body shapes) and they are very nice. i don't mean nice for the price, just very nice. they are the kind with two holes in each tuner but i just use the lower hole on the bass strings and the upper on the trebles. every bit of wilkinson hardware i have tried has been extremely good - they should charge 3x more for it and people would take them seriously. i also love their vintage strat bridge, which stomps the really expensive stuff; the other people making refinements to classic recipes seem not to know when to stop fiddling; wilk stuff all sounds exactly right

FWIW i play many different shows this week (i just did two nites of poetry/rap, saturday is a luther vandross tribute, tonite is blues) and i recently reworked my two Dots to be identical. i put away all my other guitars. there is something really compelling about the really classic Dot/335 sound that seems to pull off any style.

4. pfflam

What I want are traditional Kluson type casings on whatever will fit, with the green or amber keystone like a Les Paul.

Can I just get the Kluson clones sold on eBay? will they fit?

I like the one's with the Epiphone E stamped on the casing, but they come from Hong Kong - any experience with these?

Will I regret these?

Should I go for a specific brand that makes Kluson looking tuners?

5. pfflam

Anybody know answers for those questions?

6. fumbler

fumbler Member

Gotoh vintage keystone at stewmac

They're great quality AND they won't break the bank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pfflam

8. pfflam

Just another question: I heard that it is highly likely I will have to get bushings that are made to adapt normal sizes to the bigger Asian sized holes, are these bushing simply a matter of getting them and popping them into the bigger holes?

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

10. Iceman6937

Iceman6937 Member

Read the Gotoh reviews at StewMac: "drill free replacements for Epiphone".

11. fumbler

fumbler Member

Yeah, pretty much. Stewmac also sells the conversion bushings. Search their website.