Replacement Tuning Keys for a Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hbentley, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hbentley

hbentley Member

Hey guys! I recently picked up a '98 Historic Les Paul Junior. I'm loving the feel and sound of this one! My only complaint (and it's minor) is the tuning keys could be better. Do you guys know of any aesthetically correct keys that have a better gear ratio? Thanks so much.

2. hbentley

hbentley Member

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Hbentley -

Is the problem with the tuners themselves, or tuning stability. The tuners are almost never the problem, it's almost always the nut slots. Have you had the guitar setup by a pro? Consider that before replacing the tuners.

I think RS sells some 'relic'd' Klusons for a LP Junior.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

4. hbentley

hbentley Member

The situation really is not bad at all. It holds tune fairly well..not as good as my tele or 335, but it's decent. The tuning stability is the "problem" I suppose. I really don't think it's a unique problem to my junior, just part of the nature of the guitar. I was just wondering if there were some improved keys that might help. It's definitely a lovely guitar completley playable as is.

5. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

I just got a '05 VOS LP Special double-cut which probably has the same tuners... On my guitar they work great. Maybe you should have the set-up checked (as was already suggested) before spending on something you don't need...

6. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I'd have a good tech check the nut slots. I have an '07 VOS LP Jr DC, and the nut slots contributed to serious tuning instability. After installation of a properly cut bone nut, the tuning improved significantly. I'm not too keen on the plastic tuner bottons, but the tuners themselves seem fine.