Replacement tuning machines for a PRS Custom 22 ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by G'OlPeachPhan, Oct 31, 2004.

1. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I have the standard PRS locking tuners, and I'd like to replace them with a traditional tuning machine like those found on a McCarty model. I know that the McCarty Tuners don't fit, but does anyone have a good recommendation for some standard-style tuners that will fit? Thanks for any help!

2. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

3. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

if i remember the schaller m6 can replace the 'old wing' style locking prs keys.
    but don't quote me on that. it's been years since i looked at or owned one. i'm not sure about these new ones, though.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

What's the beefs with the PRS locking tuners? I'm just curious. I love mine, hate wrapping all that string around the peg.

5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

My Custom 22 is a 1996, so I'm talking about the older style, larger locking tuning machines. I never liked the gear ratio of the older style PRS locking tuners... the adjustment was too drastic, making perfect tuning a challenge. I also never liked the large physical mass of the old tuners..

The newer PRS locking tuners solve both of these issues, but unfortunately will not retro fit to an older PRS guitar.

I switched to the Schaller M6's after starting this thread, and I am much happier with them. They were a drop-in replacement. The ratio of the Schallers makes precise tuning much easier, they took a noticeable amount of weight off of the headstock, and I also like the more classic looks better.

Changing the tuning machines was the final modification of many in my attempt to make my PRS everything I wanted it to be. I've owned this instrument for over a decade now, and I like it now even more than the day I brought it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tmac

Very cool guys thanks. I'm going to order some Shaller M6's tomorrow.
    I just don't like the ratio and they're really fussy for me to use. I string up a regular guitar faster and not get my fingers poked full of holes to boot. I probably could get used to 'em eventually but I just don't see how they're easier to string up. Lining up the groove, pushing the flat part of the wings, pulling the string taught to get the proper tension to begin with...way too much trouble. I can't even see that friggin' groove without my reading glasses, I can see a hole to put a string through though and one wrap over & three wraps under with string winder is really quick. Maybe I'm just getting old and stuck in my ways:jo doh!

7. tmac

On my '02 CE22 the Shaller M6's won't work without drilling a new hole in the back. The screw on the back of the headstock is not the same orientation. :BITCH So the M6 are going back -I'm not drilling holes in my guitar.

8. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

You don't need to do anything to the guitar, you just need to file down the screw holes on the top two tuners so that you can hold both of them down with one screw, just as the original PRS tuners are fastened. It's really easy to do with a bench grinder or rotary tool, or take them to a local shop and I'm sure they could do it for you. It only takes a couple minutes.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Are these Schallers M6's the only replacement tuners that fit the wing type PRS locking tuners? I too wouldn't like to have to modify anything on replacements, if I don't have to. But I would like to replace the tuners.

I have nothing against the locking mechinism, it works fine for me. It's just that the PRS tuners are the stickiest tuners I've ever used (well, besides old rusted or damaged ones). I have to tune and retune with'em cause they're so hard to turn, I often overshoot the correct pitch.

Any help would be appreciated!:BEER

10. tmac

You must have a different tuner orientation on your PRS. Sounds like you had the old Kluson type. I have a CE22 that has the old style "wing" locking tuners. Much different that what you're talking about. I'll take a pic later to day to show what I've got. FWIW, Here's my email trail with PRS (Start at botttom). Looks like a set of non-locking tuners are $140/set. IMHO, that's a rip-off by PRS.:BITCH :puh

Sorry Tony, I gave you a price for the locking Phase II’s. What you need would be ACC-4327 and would list for $140.00

Shawn Nuthall
    Mgr. Customer Support
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    380 Log Canoe Circle
    Stevensville, MD 21666
    Phone: 410.643.9970
    Fax: 410.643.9980
    http://www.prsguitars.com

Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:36 AM
    To: Paul Reed Smith Customer Service
    Subject: RE: Replacement tuners

Thanks Shawn. Do you have a part number for those so that I can be sure to order correctly?
    Again I need non-locking (or as I call them “regular” tuners) in a chrome or nickel finish. Thanks

From: Paul Reed Smith Customer Service [mailto:custserv@prsguitars.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:23 AM
    To: McMahon, Tony

Hi Tony,

ACC-4327 will be the exact same tuners you have on there now (The wing-collar style). These are basically NOS stock tuners and are no longer produced so they are more expensive than our current Phase II tuners. You can get a set of Phase II’s that will fit your guitar without alterations, for $106 for a set.

Shawn Nuthall
    Mgr. Customer Support
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    380 Log Canoe Circle
    Stevensville, MD 21666

Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:05 AM
    To: Paul Reed Smith Customer Service

Thanks for the info Shawn. I called your Accessories Shop and they informed me that the price for a set of nickel plated “non-locking” replacement tuners is $140 (part # ACC 4327). That’s two or three times the street price of commonly available high quality tuners (Grover, Schaller, Sperzel). That just doesn’t sound correct. Could you check into this for me please?
    Thanks
    Tony

From: Paul Reed Smith Customer Service [mailto:custserv@prsguitars.com]
    Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:13 PM
    To: McMahon, Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your interest in Paul Reed Smith Guitars. All PRS parts and accessories, including replacement non-locking tuners, are currently available through your authorized PRS dealer or International distributor, or by calling our Accessories Shop at 410-643-9970.

Here is a link to an Authorized PRS dealer or distributor in your area: http://www.prsguitars.com/dealer.asp

Thank you for your continued support of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Shawn Nuthall
    Mgr. Customer Support
    Paul Reed Smith Guitars
    380 Log Canoe Circle
    Stevensville, MD 21666

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

You need M6 Minis, not standard M6s. These have smaller bodies and the screw lug facing down the headstock. They also (AFAIK) only come with small metal keys, but if you don't like them the PRS ones should fit.

12. tmac

Thanks once again Mr. Phillips. The Schaller M6 Mini's work perfect. The same exact tuner as the PRS locking type and way cheaper at Stew-mac than from the PRS boys. I just swapped the key heads and they look great.

13. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Guitar is a '96, so yes, it was the older style, larger, wing tuners that were replaced on my axe.

14. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Anybody know if the Schaller M6 Mini locking tuners work on these?

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Should do, which makes it even more puzzling to me that PRS chose to use those new ones with the really thin, nasty, ugly locking screw... instead of the already existing Schaller version with the nice knurled cap.