Replacing 3-way with 5-way selector switch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by coyoteblue, Apr 8, 2008.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I recently bought an '87 Fender 62ri which comes stock with a 3-way selector and I want to replace it with a 5-way. At the same time I'll be installing new pickups. Can someone point me to some schematics that would help me replace the 3-way with the 5-way, or explain to me what the difference is for connections? Thanks.

2. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Go to Seymour Duncan's website. They should have plenty of diagrams to help you.

Gary

3. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

I believe your new switch will look exactly like your old switch when you are done. All the pickup and pot connections will be the same. The switch merely has a couple of extra mechanical (and electrical) stops built into its travel.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep, just wire it the exact same way and you're there.

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

It's time to do that blender pot mod!!! I can't live without mine -- I use the Bridge+Neck pickup A LOT.

Just sayin'

6. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for the info...I'll look into the blender mod too.

7. fumbler

fumbler Member

It's also nice having the single master tone pot when you do the blender mod (that bridge pickup needs taming)

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Well, let's just make this easy and post the diagram...while you're at it you might also want to consider a treble bleed resistor/cap combo on your volume pot so you retain treble as the volume is backed off. Another trick is to take the middle pickup off the tone pot entirely to open up the sound of positions 2, 3, & 4...but perhaps one thing at a time. =)

[​IMG]