Replacing 6V6s in an Allen Accomplice with 6L6s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iim7v7im7, Jun 26, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I placed this in the amp technical forum, but maybe its more appropriate here?

I own an Allen Accomplice Head that I use with a 1 x12" cabinet outfitted with an Eminence RW&Bs. I wanted to experiment to see what 6L6 power tubes sound like in the amp.

Musically, I mostly play blues (Fender Nocaster) and occasionally jazz (Heritage archtop). For distorted tones, I tend to drive the amp with some OD pedals.

The amp currently has JJ 6V6s installed in it (22w). It will begin to break-up somewhere between 3 and 4 on the volume control. I am hoping for increased headroom and a somewhat less dark tone.

Who's 6L6s should I consider and why? What online dealers should I consider buying from?

Thanks,

Bob

2. Creston

Creston Supporting Member

It doesn't answer your question exactly, but I like my Accomplice much better with a 12AT7 pre-amp tube - doesn't immediately go into overdrive territory at low volume. And the Raw control allows you to reclaim that drive if you want it. Really made the amp much more usable for me.

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    David Allen recomends NOS RCA or Brimar as first & second choice

Just fired mine up fr the first time with the sovtek 6L6 that come stock with the EH 12ax7's. My Accomplice is a 40 watt with the heavey tranny.

I know it to soon to judge but right now it doesnt have the cleans of my Pro or Super which have NOS tubes

EnJoY ThE MUSIC
    GROoVEY RECoRDS

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

5. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

If you aren't willing or able to shell out the cash for NOS 6L6s, I've had good results with the RI Tung-Sols in my Accomplice Jr. Break-up occurs more around 5-6 on the volume dial with the Master cranked to 10.