Replacing a 4 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm

fenderpro

I came into possession of a Fender Deluxe 1 12 plus that had a 4 ohm speaker
with a tear in the cone that was distorting the tone of the amp. this amp is going
to one of my young students who won't be playing the amp very loud. I have a couple of
8 ohm speakers laying around here. is it safe to use one of them?

That is a solid state amp, correct? Near the speaker out jack there should be a minimum impedance listed. the amp will want to see no lower impedance than that. You can use any higher impedance speaker you want with the result that the output power will be decreased. I am thinking that that amp should have an 8 ohm as stock. I could be wrong on that one, though.

pdf64

I think that the 85W and 90W solid state Deluxe models are/were intended for 4 ohms, https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/207305886/Deluxe_900_manual.pdf
With an 8 ohm speaker, it will probably be a bit down in power, and the mixed mode feedback on the power amp may not work quite as intended (as the ratio between the voltage sample and the current sample will be altered).
I don't think it would cause damage or operational problems though.

fenderpro

thank you both for your responses. Yes, it is the Deluxe 112 Plus. and I was also
surprised to see that it had a stock 4 ohm speaker. I think i'll try the 8 ohm and see how it goes.

Jr Deluxe

For a SS amp i think it will be ok. It might sound slightly less than optimum but the kid will jack it up with a distortion box any way right? Or put a 8 ohm resister in parallel with the speaker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom