• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Replacing a bad drum audio track with a sampled sound? Trigger?

Thinline_slim

I'm helping one of my high school students put together a pretty big demo. Got him all set up to record and do a lot of the work himself. But we didn't get a good kick sound out of the drum set and we're kind of running out of time. Is there a way to use the kick drum audio track as a trigger for a substituted sound bite?

Everything was recorded in Digital Performer 8 (I started back with 2.7 so it's what I'm most comfortable with) and I do have an EZ Drummer software package but I've never tried to replace an audio track aside from a lot of cut and paste activity.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Monotremata

Drumagog and Apptrigga will do what you need. You use it as an insert on your drum track and it triggers a sample. You can blend the two or replace it altogether..

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Here's an easy, free method.... You won't have multisamples, but it's still effective...

Go here and download Reaper's reaplugs: http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Insert Reagate on your kick channel. Now, insert EZ drummer on the channel, after Reagate.

Set the gate threshold to where it's detecting the kick and opening just for the kick(and not anything else that's bleeding thru the kick mic) Set the attack and hold times very low(like 5ms). Make sure the "dry" and "noise" sliders are at minimum.

There is a box below the threshold slider that says: Send MIDI on open/close.
Check this box and set the note number to 36, channel 1.

You should now hear the kick drum from EZ drummer playing. You can now lower the "wet" control to remove the actual recorded kick. You may want to remove it all together or blend it with the EZ kick....

Guitarman6730

Trigger is good, I'd definatley reccomend it. All the slate digital stuff pretty awesome so I'd say you can't go wrong there.

ItsaRat!

Trigger. Extraordinarily accurate tracking, and a large variety of sounds. I've never had a problem finding a sample that works for any particular style. I always work hard to get a good drum sound, and start with the idea that I'm not going to use any samples, but sometimes you are just stuck with a mediocre player/kit/etc. Even when you get a great sound, using trigger to provide a little extra body, or to add some extra room from the snare without making the cymbals too loud is really, really handy.

Thinline_slim

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately the reaplugs are only supported on a Windows machine and I do everything music in Mac OS.

Trigger, Drumagog and Apptrigga all look like a viable solution but I'm going to try to work with what I have over the weekend.

EDIT* It's come to my attention that DP8 has a plug-in called Trigger that will do what I'm looking to do.

Huge thanks for the knowledge base and recommendations here. It never ceases to amaze me how much collective knowledge there is on this board.

Last edited:

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Here's an easy, free method.... You won't have multisamples, but it's still effective...

Go here and download Reaper's reaplugs: http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Insert Reagate on your kick channel. Now, insert EZ drummer on the channel, after Reagate.

Set the gate threshold to where it's detecting the kick and opening just for the kick(and not anything else that's bleeding thru the kick mic) Set the attack and hold times very low(like 5ms). Make sure the "dry" and "noise" sliders are at minimum.

There is a box below the threshold slider that says: Send MIDI on open/close.
Check this box and set the note number to 36, channel 1.

You should now hear the kick drum from EZ drummer playing. You can now lower the "wet" control to remove the actual recorded kick. You may want to remove it all together or blend it with the EZ kick....
This is going into my file for future use. Thanks for sharing :dude

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Here is another method that is more tedious but works very reliably. If you take into account all the time of acquiring a new plugin, installing, etc, this is probably faster.

It is basically "tab to transient" and then pasting a new drum sound in a new track wherever you need a replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aMxJ_BjAgY

Top Bottom