Replacing a Bigsby with a TOM on a spruce top?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeMcK, Dec 26, 2009.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I have a Hamer Monaco with 2 hums and Bigsby. I'm just not a trem guy and traded for this thinking I'd somehow replace the Bigsby with a fixed bridge. My problem with trems is that squishy feel in the strings when they're there. I just grew up playing without that, I guess.

After I did a little reading I realized it's not so simple. The spruce top that makes the thing so lively is not designed to support a stop-tail or TOM. I neither want to leave holes in this top nor risk messing with the tone by having a supporting block installed ...if it's even possible.

Anyone know of a reasonable solution, or does my nearly-perfect-for-me guitar stay relegated to bedroom playing?

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I'm a little confused by your terminology...what kind of bridge-not tailpiece- is on it now? Regardless, a trapeze tailpiece is the likely solution, like on most 70s 335 semis.

3. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Good point. Right now it has a roller bridge on it, but the original owner (a TGP guy) thoughtfully included the original TOM. I should have mentioned that I once had a Vibrola on a 345 and almost went the same route, but I'd played a 330 with the trapeze and it wasn't for me either...

The more I write, the more I realize I'm giving myself the answer I didn't want to hear, huh?

4. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Do you still have the Monaco? I have one with the stop tail and want the Bigsby...