replacing a Fender speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big higgs, Jan 16, 2015.

1. big higgs

big higgs Member

I have a 25 year old fender super 60 and im thinking of replacing the orignal
    12 fender speaker. Its a 60 watt 12" open back cab. 1 x12.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

2. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

One option to consider is an Emi Red, White and Blue.

A friend of mine loaned me his amp with an RWB in it and I tried running several of my SF Fender amps (PR, DR, VR) through it and it sounded really good. Full, open, well-balanced, Fendery. Inexpensive too.

-bEn r.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Depends on what your looking for and what kind of music you play. I'm really enjoying my Steamboat Hemp 100: smoothness of hemp that retains clarity in the treble, warm and punchy bass, fuller midrange than an American speaker (without so much mids like the potentially fatiguing V30). I bought one for my Blackfaced Deluxe Reverb and two days after it arrived, I bought a second for my Mesa Mark III.

4. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I 2nd the Emi RWB for Fendery cleans - Had one in an ODS and it was awesome. I also reccomend the weber california - great for cleans as well but the OD was a bit harsh at higher levels. For Dickey Betts/DA style gain, it's excellent.

I just received a Steamboat Hemp 100 after Heady's suggestion and I'm very excited to install it this evening - I hope to do a Soundcloud comparison between them.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Looking forward to hearing it! It took a bit to break in, but I'm really excited I found it after trying many other speakers.