Replacing a nut on a Gibson Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by kanderson, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kanderson

kanderson Supporting Member

I've got a Nighthawk that needs a new nut. The old nut is functional but it has a chip knocked out of it along the A, D, and G string grooves. Can anyone recommend where I can pick up one and is this something I can do easily myself or should I take it to a local repair shop?
    Thanks for all the help in advance...

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If it don't fall out when you take the strings off I would take it to a luthier. Most of the time the finish has to be cut around the nut to keep from chipping. Worse case it may have to be cut into pieces if it's really stubborn. And to make it worse a ready made nut rarely works well.

3. kanderson

Mine doesn't fall out when I change strings. So I guess it's not going to be an easy do it yourself type situation...

So what type nut does everyone recommend? Bone, brass, ???

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I would have a bone nut made. I use a lot of unbleached bone in my shop, looks great and tunes great. BTW, I wasn't trying to scare you away from replacing it your self but it's very easy to take part of the peghead overlay with it if your not careful. To do it correctly you'll have to cut through the finish at all the contact points and tap the nut loose very carefully. I use a block of wood and light wood mallet. But that still leaves a lot of work to fabricate a new nut.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1
    is the chip actually affecting the bottoms of the string grooves themselves, so that the string either doesn't come right up to the edge before it takes off or doesn't stay in its slot? if not, you could just leave it alone. maybe the nut could be sanded down to make the chipped part less obvious. replacing a finished-over gibson nut is indeed dicey, so take it to a pro.

6. kanderson

Actually the strings stay in thier slots. It really doesn't hurt anything the way it is, it just bugs me to see it chipped like that. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll just leave it as is. It's been like that since I picked it up two years ago.

Oh I'm glad you did! It sounds a little more involved than I expected so thanks for the heads up. :D