• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Replacing a robert cray strat bridge pickup with a dimarzio FS-1

hitchorange

Hey,

I bought a dimarzio dp110 fs-1 single coil to replace the bridge single coil in my mim robert cray strat. Want more punch while keeping the strat vibe.
I wanna wire this up good so i wanna ask you guys if i have to check something before i solder it in.
I've read stuff about RWRP, phase issues,polarity etc. Can i just replace it and solder hot and ground on the the right spot?
I speak and write english but since i'm from the netherlands i don't really understand all the explanations regarding this subject.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Just wire it right in; one way will sound right with the middle pickup at the same time, one way will not. If not, reverse the two wires. Nothing else to it.

(And good choice, that's a loud and ballsy pickup that still sounds like a strat.)

walterw

if you do want to get into the weeds here, then OK...

hold the dimarzio top-to-top against the other two pickups; if the FS-1 attracts the middle pickup, then you're done, go ahead and wire it in, as it will hum-cancel with the middle pickup in the combined position once you get the wiring polarity right.

if it repels the middle pickup and attracts the neck pickup instead, it might be worth the hassle to swap those other two pickups around. (fender neck and middle pickups are usually the same except for the polarity).

you could also push the magnets out of the FS-1, flip them over and push them back in to reverse its polarity and get hum-canceling with the middle pickup. (there's only a few pickups you can do this with, and the FS-1 is one of them.)

hitchorange

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the advice, glad to hear it's a nice pickup.
Am i correct that you wouldn't bother and just wire it up right(ground/lead) and forget the humcancelling aspect?

jcs

I remember playing a guitar many years ago with a Dimarzio FS-1, sounded great too.

Didn't Johnny Ramone use this pickup in his Mosrite's?

hitchorange

By the way, does anybody know if the screws from the fender pickup fit the dimarzio?(dimensions, thread)
I bought it without the screws.

hitchorange

Soldered it in , tested. Lost too much of the quack. Soldered it out, put the original one in, happy.
Thanks anyway.

walterw

Lost the quack as in thin and weird sounding, or just a little too dark and murky?

If it was thin, then you got the wires backwards, and it's worth another try; if it sounded "normal", but just not as clear, then yeah, that's the trade-off with hot strat pickups, the in-between sounds lose some sparkle.

How did you like the bridge pickup by itself?

hitchorange

Definetely not thin, the pickup is loud and barks. Bridge alone sounds awesome.
While the in between position was sounding full, it had lost the quack.
The perfect guitar does not exist, i can get pretty raw sounds with the original bridge, but can't add quack with the dimarzio.
No big deal, i've learned something about strat pickups like this.
If you would equip the strat with 3 fs1 pickups, would you get good 2 and 4 position sounds?
Thanks for the help Walter.

hitchorange

Funny, i saw your signature and it made me think of Walter White. The meth cook from breaking bad, the tv show.

walterw

nothing like him, except for the meth part.

...oh wait :tapedshut

(i might be the only guy on the planet who's never watched that show, even though everybody says i should.)

walterw

anyway, 3 FS-1s would make for ballsy single pickup sounds but murky 2 & 4 sounds.

i did have a tele a ways back with the FS-1 in the neck and the tele version pre-B1 bridge, and that was actually pretty good for "rock twang", with the middle setting having plenty of tele chime. i've now got the 10k high output fralins in a tele, (strat neck pickup) and that's still all kinds of clear and chimy in the middle.

it seems like pickups can be hot or they can be in closer proximity and sound good together, but not both.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom