Replacing an Edge Pro trem with a OFR?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Gemini2, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Have a Ibanez JS1000 and looking to replace the Edge Pro tremolo with an Original Floyd Rose. Anybody ever do this? How much modification if any? Thanks.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

You need to swap the posts for Gotoh 1996 ones to accommodate the different knife edge angles and yes they fit in the bushings already there. The next issue is the rout will be tight on one side and wide on the other, this may bother you and may need a tweak.
    Why not just fit the original Ibanez edge as it is a direct fit and is as good in most parts.

Gemini2 likes this.
  3. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Ok on the Edge, IDK that was a direct replacement. Thanks.

4. cardinal

cardinal Member

I've swapped an OFR7 in place of an Edge Pro 7. The stock studs were fine. The Floyd baseplate was too wide along the treble side, so I had to grind it down at bit

I haven't had an Original Edge, but I know that the Lo Pro 7 is no where close to fitting the Edge Pro 7 route.

This is all 7-strings, so YMMV.

5. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been out of the Ibanez game for a while. I just got back in with a few new acquisitions, one with a Lo Trs and the other with the Edge Pro. No problems with the Lo Trs, tuning and set up. On the other hand the Pro is not holding tune and the fine tuners are almost nonexistent. I'm also not crazy how the ball ends lock into the bridge on the Pro. Seems like a good idea on paper but not in reality. Basically love the guitar, hate the trem.

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

Edge Pro seems touchy. The fine tuners don't work if the saddles are too far forward. And some days I cannot get them to stay in tune to save my life. But when I come back to it, suddenly everything's fine and it's very stable until the next time it decides it wants to go haywire. And I always just cut off the ball ends anyway.

I prefer the OFR. The Lo Pro isn't bad, but I just trust the OFR more.

Gemini2 likes this.