Replacing another player?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by beans, Feb 28, 2015.

1. beans

beans Member

Does anyone have experience in this?
    I am going to be trying out for a role in a band which is replacing a bass player who has left.
    Usually do they want you to play exactly the part of the last person note for note, or is there some wriggling room to be yourself?

2. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Depends on the band. I would learn it all note for note. If you can hang with the band, the freedom will come.

Then I would figure out what I could do vocally to support the band.

There are good and great bass players, and they rarely want for gigs.

As a solid bass player that sings, YOU choose who you want to play with.

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Any audition, I'd learn note for note to the track. Good luck!!

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Not enough information. What kind of band? Are they working (ie, getting paid to play and have gigs)? Playing in the basement or garage? Covers? Tribute? Originals? It makes a difference.

The band should give you a few songs to learn for the audition ... either a recording of them playing, or a reference recording (Youtube or other) of the recording they based their version on.

Unless they are going note for note from the original recording or are writing their own songs, I would expect to have as much wiggle room as I want ... so long as the groove isn't lost. I would run (not walk) away from a band that wanted me to copy the other bassist's parts note for note "just because" that's the way he played it.

All this should be discussed before the audition.

5. gumtown

gumtown Member

The band will want a 1:1 replacement initially, just to get familiarity with what THEY are doing.
    I would start with what they are familiar with, then once the marriage phase is over, do the songs the way you want.

6. beans

beans Member

Thanks for interesting replies.

I had a chat on email with the lead singer and they are looking for someone to replicate the last persons bass parts,which are already written (originals not covers)

So I will go round and have a go, it will either work or it will not..? playing note for note what someone else did..hmm not really me so I'll do it a bit and then do my own thing.:D see how that works..

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Play it the way you feel it brother. Try to catch any hooks and keep the same groove, but ultimately you will not be happy being Mr. Roboto.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Agreed. Lots of good ways to play the same groove.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

My own experience in auditioning new band members: I always look for someone who will contribute meaningfully to the group. With our current combo, we went through 3 guys before we found our guitar player. In a country band I was in, we had two mediocre drummers before we found the guy at the right level of musicianship. For my part, I'm there to show everyone what I can do and what I can contribute.

Your mileage may vary.

10. Jay Ralston

Jay Ralston Member

If I am coming in to replace someone and am given a CD of what to learn, I will usually ask the band before hand if they want me learning everything note for note that the other guy did or if they want me to add my own little style to their songs. Depending on what they want is how I will learn the song.

Next, while it is nice to have musicians that are amazing players, I will take chemistry with less talent over an amazing player or one with an attitude any day of the week. One band I was in a long time ago, the guitarist was okay but not the best but we had amazing chemistry together and could write some really good songs. Technically speaking, they were not overly difficult to play but they sounded good. About two years later I was in another band that brought in a drummer who had been to all the schools, was an amazing player but thought his poop didn't stink and thought he was superior to me as a person simply because I was self taught and he had been trained for decades at all of these top schools. He would only go off of sheet music to play whereas I went off of my ear and feel. We were like oil and water and I ended up leaving the band because they guy was impossible to get along with and then he did the ultimate no no of wanting to write my bass lines and the guitarists parts too. After I left, they wanted to use my connection to get a record deal but then got pissed because I would not give them a good referral. He may have been an amazing player but I knew people and never had a problem getting work. The reason why is because I never acted like I was better than others. I was simply myself and worked hard.

11. BassJumper

BassJumper Member

Are you looking for a parrot or a musician?

Not to say a parrot is always the wrong choice, but there are 2 kinds of players, and musicians usually don't like being parrots.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If there's two kinds of players, musicians and parrots- they are exclusive to one another. A parrot cannot be a musician, and a musician cannot be a parrot.

Therefore, what you have posted makes no sense on your own premise.

It also makes no sense from any logical standpoint either.

A good musician is going to play the "right" stuff, whether it's stuff that's written for them, or has already been established as "good," or what they determine is right in the context of what they're doing (provided they are given that level of of flexibility in their role).

It doesn't matter how artistically musician-y you are, if you're not playing what the people who hired you want you to play- they're looking for a replacement who will.

13. Valus

Valus Member

Singer says they want you to play the parts as written. Sounds like that's your answer if you want to get and keep the gig. If the rest of the band is already happy with the lines as written, your desire to (selfishly, IMO) add your own "creativity" to the part might not get the reaction you're looking for.

Nut up and play the part as written. You'll get plenty of chances to put your own stamp on new material.

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I try to do both. I will learn as written, because doing so always teaches me new things. They are familiar/comfortable with those parts, and I'm doing a job. However, after the first time or two through, I will add stuff I feel, so it is a combo.

If someone is going to be rigid about it after I show I can play the old mixed with new, then you need to evaluate whether or not this is the setting for you. Good luck.

15. beans

beans Member

Not being selfish, just being honest.

I can't play exactly like 'person X' b'cos I am not person X, likewise to most of us, person X could probably not play exactly like me..

16. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Who knows. Did he leave because he sucked? If so, don't do what he did.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

You can't play the same notes that the other guy did??? Usually, when someone says they "play it their way" it's because they don't have the ability to figure out a piece of music and play it accurately, IME... I've literally played thousands and thousands of songs over a 35+ year span of gigging bass and guitar - I probably could "play exactly like you", to be honest...

Odds are they don't want or need you to play everything *exactly* as the other guy, but also don't want to make major changes to their songs if they like them as is - if you can't or won't do that, you might not be the guy for the job... Maybe I'm wrong about all of the above, but probably not...

- georgestrings

18. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Even if the chops are the same or similar most musicians aren't averse to, and may even enjoy, a bit of variety.

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Playing the part that is composed, accepted and works, in context, is never the wrong thing to do.
    It may not even be the most appropriate part, may not be what you would do, but it will not be viewed as wrong.
    It is very hard to fully understand what the original composer was aiming at, so give it a chance, first.

Should add that doing so can be a lot of work, if you want the gig.

20. beans

beans Member

You could, but would you want to? ;-)