replacing chandler echo/delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Sep 17, 2005.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

howdy hi.
    i was at one point in time a very proud owner of a chandler digital echo/delay. for those of U that are familiar with this piece of gear i regret to inform U that my partner made off with it when she split.
    i have tried the line6 echo pro (now discontinued, but available on eBay on a consistent basis) and was kinda disappointed in how much it thinned out the sound. the chandler was PHAT!!!
    i'm looking for the kind of mojo that the chandler had. more of a vintage delay (remember tape???) vibe as opposed to the edge's delay tones and i really love the HUGENESS that the chandler had.
    does anyone have any ideas on what would be a good replacement or (better still) know where i could buy one?

James likes this.
  2. dosmun

dosmun Member

They show up on Ebay pretty often.

3. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I've just recently completed my delay search for something comparable to replace my Chandler and here's what I came up with.

The Chandler sounded better than everything with the exception of the Fulltone TTE, which I ended up buying because I liked so much. Unfortunately, this was expensive, but the only thing that I thought beat it out. Also unfortunately, this did not solve the problem which sent me on my delay search in the first place, which was to find something that would compare to the Chandler in a pedal form.

I have a Line 6 DL4 which I have never quite warmed up to. It just does something to the guitar tone that I don't find pleasing, although I can't quite put my finger on it. If you a/b it with the Chandler you will want to throw the Line 6 in the trash.

I also bought a Boss dd20 which I really like. It still wont quite beat the Chandler for tape delay sounds, but it is not really an inferior sounding unit, just not as fat or quite as floaty. I'm keeping this one on a pedalboard because it's quiet and I was able to dial in a setting with modulation that was very close to a Deluxe Memory Man which I like. Much better sounding than the DL4 in my opinion.

Seems like there's really great reviews on the Diamond Memory Lane and Echoczar delays. Also some great sounding clips on their respective websites. They're an analog delay and while sounding great, I think they are much diferent than what you were used to with the Chandler. They are not really inexpensive, though cheaper than the TTE.

I'm going to be selling my Chandler now that I have the TTE. The going price on Ebay is about $400 which is also about the cost of the Diamond Memory Lane. The Echoczar is a little more expensive. I believe if you want something cheaper, I'd go with the Boss dd20 ($179). Let me know if you might be interested in my Chandler as I could probably knock off the Ebay fees and save you a little bit on what that might cost.

Good luck on your quest. The Chandler's tough to beat, isn't it?

Kenny M.

James likes this.
  4. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

I still have my Chandler as well for it's sonic qualities, though a DD-20 gets most usage because of all the reasons KennyM mentions in his post.

On another messageboard Bob Sweet said that he was working on a delay pedal that would be like "a Chandler in a pedal". This could be interesting as I've often wondered myself about trying to do this. I guess 'watch this space'.......

Geoff

5. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

Two just sold for $212.00 each.

6. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

BTW: I have 2 Chandlers and am using a TTE now.

Just buy one. It's the best overdrive I have also! :eek:

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

WOW.
    that really looks impressive.
    the fulltone, i mean.
    on the website they have it on a reduced price right now. i dumped my echoplex when the chandler came out. i've used the roland as well. but that pic of brian setzer w/ the fulltone on top of his bassman says it all right there.
    do U guys gig w/ the fulltone? is it WAY less finicky than a roland or echoplex?
    kenny, i might be interested in Ur chandler. is it a blackface or a brownface one?

8. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Yea, the Fulltone is really impressive. It is also just as qiet or quieter than any other delay I've heard, analog or digital. That actually really surprised me.

I was weaned on Echoplexes starting way back in the late 70's. It was actually the first guitar effect I got. After burning the third one up, I started using Digital units and eventually got the Chandler. It is the only digital unit that retains some of that floating quality that doesn't step on the initial note. The no maintainence feature makes it a winner for Echoplex fanatics plus the tapes last a real long time. :D

I had originally planned to keep the Chandler and just put a rack switching rig together for my recording rig. I took the Chandler into the Amp Shop here in LA to get a replacement wall wart and saw the TTE sitting there so I thought I'd do a little comparison between ithe two. Needless to say, the TTE blew me away and I'm now a tape echo kind of guy once again. As 99% of the work I do is recording, I probably wont be using this live a whole lot, however I would have no problem recomending this for someone that does a lot of live gigs. It seems very well constructed and much more robust than an Echoplex. If you can fork out the dough for it and you don't need something in a pedal, it's definitely a great way to go.

Email me direct or PM me if you're interested in my Chandler. It's a blackface and I'm the original owner.

Kenny M.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

ach, U can never trust these endorsee things a good percentage of the time. i really think it's complete bullsh!t when manufacturers do stuff like that.
    i LOL when the thread began to descend into the cliche of "his early tone with the stray cats was better".
    whether or not he uses a fulltone is kind of a moot point. it seems like a super cool unit and regardless, it sure looks bitchin' on that bassman.
    one of my local gearpimps in t-dot (songbird) is a fulltone dealer and i'm headed down there tomorrow to check it out.
    much like kenny, i found the only reasonable replacement for tape was the chandler. everything that i tried just made the sound smaller. as far as i'm concerned, i'd sooner go without echo than have mediocre echo.
    but i am lookin' forward to having it, on occasion, as part of my sound again.

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hmm, i was kinda p!ssed 'cuz of the brian setzer 'endorsement' thing.
    so i went to the website and dug around, lookin' to send them a nasty e-mail for misleading peeps.
    this is what i turned up and is a direct quote from the website:

"This is a list of some of the more famous folks who have bought my pedals. Unlike most companies, we don't give product away so the inclusion of one's name does not constitute an endorsement of the product, it simply means they liked it enough to buy it."

so, unless they are lying that brain bought one (i seriously doubt that), there really doesn't seem to be any real controversy here. just some more internerd hubris, much like "his tone was better when.....", that is all too prevalent.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

13. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Don't give product away? Yet on the '69 page theres this Eric Johnson quote: "Of all the pedals I've been sent... I like this one the best!" ;)

PS: The Chandler rocks. Does anyone have the manual? :D

14. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I do.

15. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Is there anything useful in it? Suggested settings or something like that?

16. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

No.

17. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Okay then, thanks. :)

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yup G-mans correct, the SDE manual is pretty lame ~~~ I also have a copy of the very rare matching stereo Digital Reverb manual which is even less interesting (I had that unit too, and fried it with the wrong power supply !!!!!)

But I got a Furman spring reverb unit that was a wonderful enhancement to the SDE ( I had two too)

I guess it depends on how you use the SDE as to what would replace it.......
    for me it was the modulation on the delays.....

and the Ibanez DML get real close ......

I have a Memory lane on order that Im hoping will be close enough,,,, I just love modulated delays ((( the echopark does some of this too)))

James likes this.
  19. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Get a T rex replica its is awesome