Replacing George L's w/ Monorail

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrshow, Feb 16, 2008.

1. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I'm all set to swap out my George L's cable with Evidence Monorail (using the GL plugs), and have been so far unable to assemble a working cable. Very frustrating. What's the trick? I feel like I must be missing something...

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Monorails are solid core? You might have to cut out some of the middle of the monorail to fit in the metal sliver that's inside the george l.

3. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Couple of tricks.
    1. Make sure it's a straight cut. Obvious I know.
    2. When you put the cable in, bend it all the way, then screw it in. When you don't bend it all the way, the screw cuts the cable.
    3. When you push it in the connect, the metal wire in the middle of the cable gets pushed back, don't be discouraged. Just put the other end on it will get pushed back into place.

Took me a minute to get the hand of it, but I haven't changed one cable ever since I did it right the first time. Only changed one, because the screw cut the cable. That was one out of twelve. A lot better than the george L cable.

4. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I had some issues with the GL plugs, too. The solid conductor in the Monorail does make it tricky. I wound up ordering a bunch of G&H right-angle plugs and soldering everything. Tony's views on solderless connections on the Evidence website convinced me to go with soldered plugs. Great cable - can't beat it for a little over two bucks a foot.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

No issues wth GL right angle plugs for me. LIke said above, nice straight cut.

6. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I would tend to do the opposite - I love GLs wire but sometimes I solder right angle Ernie Ball plugs on them for reliability.

7. dB

dB Member

I bought 15' of Monorail with the intent of replacing all my GL cable with the Monorail and re-using the right angle solderless plugs. I made 8 Monorail cables and not one of them worked. So, I tried again and was able make 1 work. I tried a third time and none of them worked again. So I gave up and returned to GL. When I get the money, I'll buy a couple sets of Lava Mini ELC...he seems to have actually given some thought to creating a solder-less system.

I have made literally 100's of GL cables in the past 10 years without a problem. I am sure that Monorail sounds great, but I think it is absolute crap with these solderless connectors. I've heard all sorts of tricks and techniques for making this connection work, but or me, if you can't just cut the wire, stick it in the hole and screw the cap on, it's not a successful design.

The Evidence website's FAQ really talks down on using these solder-less plugs and I am guessing it's not because of the sound quality, but because they know the connection is inherently flawed. Just my .02 - maybe I'm a slow adult. I am sure that if I really tinkered for a while I could have gotten them to work, but the reliabilty of the connections would make me really uneasy.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I'm also done w/ solderless,the GL's always worked for me to start but after a while the center core conductor starts to lose its conductivity and will create resistance in the signal. I've had to cut off alittle of the cable and remake the ends and all is well for about 6 months, my soldered jumper have stayed perfect so far. I've had up to 16 ohms of resistance on the GL's from tip to tip on the jumpers.

9. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Thanks all. Back to the drawing board I guess but, so far, my experience has been the same as jackevorkian described above. The Monorail seems to be a hair larger in diameter than the GL cable, making it difficult to fit into the plug receptacle.

10. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Another question...

How do you go about testing assembled cables with a multimeter? (ie. Which meter setting do you use? Where do you place the probes? What reading are you looking for?)

11. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I use alligator style leads on my meter that clamp onto the plug ends. first i set the meter to read the lowest ohm reading ,single digits and test from tip to tip on the two plug ends of the jumper. you should read less than 1 ohm, usually on my meter 0.2 which is very low resistance.see what you get when you short the meter leads together,should be the same reading. then i read the ground or the sleeve part of the plug ends, you should get the same reading! Next set the meter for the highest resistance setting 2meg ohms or if your meter goes up to 20 megohms. read between tip and sleeve of the plug and you should get no reading or infinate resistance.