Replacing my Joe Bardens

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clothwiring, Jan 29, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I love my Joe Barden's they are just way too delicate, I believe I killed one last night.

I know you can't replace them, but what are some other good options for a 50's style Tele pickup? Basically I want higer output tele pickups with a nice chimey top end... Kinman Broadcasters? Voodoo Pickups TE 50's/TEF? Seymour Duncan (??)? The only stuff I really avoid are Dimarzio pickups right now.

I'll probably end up with Kinman's since I've had great success in the past with his other pickups, but am looking for some information that might lead me in another direction.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'm very happy with the dimarzio virtual vintage pickups though I've only tried them in a strat. I'm sure the tele ones are killin' too.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:eek: Delicate?! What did you do to "kill" one?!

You won't easily find anything that will sound like the Barden, the problem being higher output and chimey are hard to do together in traditional pickups. Kinman sounds good and are noiseless, but not really higher output. Hamels and Stuarts are great sounding traditional tele pickups. You might look into Fralin steel pole pickups for more of a P90 sound with higher output, but less chime.

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I'll have them rewired by Harry Häussel.
    Been there done that - quite simple, relatively cheap and you'll hear no difference.

Otherwise FYI we have a new series of blade puppies which we affectionately call "harrybardens" - we'll have tele sets too.

Drop me a line if I can be of any help.

JJ

5. clothwiring

Thanks for the offer JJ, but I need pickups I can trust. I'd rather have something I can trust. I know I can get by with other pickups, I don't depend on the Barden's and with all that I've been through with them, I'm just at a point of frustration (there's a long story behind it with rewinds, their delicacy, dying and cost).

I did my research earlier today and placed an order for Kinman Broadcasters (i.e. 48n & 48b). I have two other guitars that have Kinman's which are excellent sounding guitars and I trust Kinman and his product.

Thanks again JJ!

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Just to make sure you are aware: you can easily sell your Bardens for $400-$500 for the pair

7. clothwiring

Yeah...that's what I'm doing...I have 5 Barden pickups right now...some haven't been installed before. Also probably selling my original Uni-Vibe. :)

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele bridge has a nice beefy output and a chimy top end, IMO. I have one in my Robin Wrangler at the moment, and it's a killer pickup. It's not constructed like a 50's model (has larger magnets and no baseplate), but it has a classic, big sound.

9. mainsale

mainsale Member

They're only worth that if they work.

10. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

The thing with the dying Bardens has me perplexed.
    The rewind I ws commissioned was for a professional touring musician here in Italy. He had been playing that strat for a lifetime so a failure in so many years isn't that extraordinary.

IF you want to cash in the premium commanded by the Bardens, by all means go ahead :D , but as someone else has posted, blade pickups have a peculiar sound due to their very particular assembly and to the way they're wound.
    In any case - since you'll need to have the broken one rewound before you can sell it, drop me a line if I can be of any assistance.

Take care,

JJ

11. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I don't want to hijack this thread . . . .

so Ill ask two questions:

Are those Bardens on eBay now?

and, JJ, are those harrybardens being sold now?
    and how much for a neck?
    and would their be anyway in hell to get them in a cream color?

12. clothwiring

13. clothwiring

I was hitting the strings close the the bridge saddles (not hitting the pickup), and it died, so my assumption is that the vibration of the bridge being hit transferred and broke the connection of a wire on the pickup. I be it doesn't need to be rewound, only that wire resoldered. I still have yet to pull the pickup out and look at it from the inside out.

Talk to me about the "harry bardens", also talk to me about pricing. You can email me at: msherwood@apollo19.com

Thanks JJ!

14. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I loved the Kinman Broadcasters, but the Fralin Steel Pole tele set is incredible! Very meaty pickups with a great top end.

15. clothwiring

Exactly what I need...they're going in my Gigliotti GT Custom. It's a very dark guitar tonality...rich and complex...I think the Kinman's will be better in it.

16. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

I had a set of Barden Strat Deluxes & they were great; ultra-sensitive, dead quiet & great tone. However, compared to my set of Bare Knuckle Irish Tours I have to say the Irish Tours kills them. The Irish Tours make the JBs sound sterile. They would be my choice to replace your JBs. Check Tim's stuff out . . . http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

No offense, but going from your "assumption" about what may have failed and drawing the conclusion that Bardens are delicate seems a bit premature, considering that you haven't even looked at the pickup or the wiring! You are selling all your pickups based on this one assumption without even checking to see what actually happened?:jo

18. clothwiring

19. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

First of all +1 on Broadcasters from Kinman they sound great. However they don't sound like Bardens. I heard a 60's Tele with Bardens in it and it sounded quite good but I thought the Lollars I had in my Mayes sounded better, livelier and richer (but that may be partly due to the guitar as well)

20. clothwiring

I'm okay with it not sounding like Bardens. I had a set of Lollar Specials in one of my guitars, and personally felt they were the flattest most uninteresting boutique pickup I've tried. They were not inspiring at all....but the guitar they were in is a tough guitar to read on what will be good in them...but the Kinman's should be good...we'll know soon.