• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Replacing neck pickup on LP Standard

MGT

I'd like to replace the neck pickup on my 2007 LP Standard (it currently has BurstBucker Pro's, I believe). The local music store has a Seymour Duncan 59 as well as some Gibson 57 Classics. Any recommendations or can you tell me how they compare?

Thanks!

MGT

Hard to describe....they just don't excite me! I have a LP Studio with a Dimarzio PAF in the neck (SD jeff beck in the bridge) and I really like how it sounds now - the pickups just seem more expressive. I like lower output pickups (I don't like "hot" pickups).....I want a 70's classic rock sound, if that helps any.

jackbart1960

I have the same model/year LP and I swapped out the neck pu with a 57' classic and couldn't be happier. I also put an RS kit in it and that might have someting to do with it also. YMMV.
Peace. J.J.B.

marantz1300

I had Seymour Duncan alnico 2 pros in my Les Paul Classic.slash has them in his guitars. I use Bare Knuckle Crawler's in my Custom,if you can get them. They have a classic rock tone.

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
Between the 2 you mentioned I would go for the classic 57. I have both in different guitars and have a 2008 LP Std I put put classic 57s in and am totally happy with them.

MGT

Thanks for all of the responses/recommendations!

I'm picking up the Classic 57/57+ pair this weekend. I think it'll complement the LP Studio with the Dimarzio/JB pickups quite nicely.

jackbart1960

You might just want to get he neck p/u first and swap it out. I've been told by someone who I'd listen to that the 57+ and the BB Pro bridge p/u's are very close in tone. I had a straight up '57 Classic set not the + and ended putting the BB bridge back in.
Peace. J.J.B.

MGT

Thanks, JJB - the 57+ costs $155 Cdn + taxes so I don't mind keeping that for myself!

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
You might want to replace the pots on that guitar if you haven't already. Put 500k audio volume pots in place of the stock 300k linears that Gibson uses and it will make your pickups sound the way they should. You might even like the stock pickup if you get rid of those 300k's.

Maybe you already have done this.

Al

funkmaster

seymour duncan 59's. made in santa barbara and they sound not as vintage as the 57 classics but have a warmer and more bodied sound.

plexistack

Hard to describe....they just don't excite me! I have a LP Studio with a Dimarzio PAF in the neck (SD jeff beck in the bridge) and I really like how it sounds now - the pickups just seem more expressive. I like lower output pickups (I don't like "hot" pickups).....I want a 70's classic rock sound, if that helps any.
The SD Jeff Beck is ultra-hot

For the money, I'd say the SD Seth Lover is just about the best & most versatile pickup for a Les Paul. (Seth Lover is the guy who invented the humbucker, and designed the famous Gibson PAF) It works for anything but super high gain stuff, as it's not wax potted. It's very responsive & open sounding, cleans up well, and has that vintage grit. They stand up well next to my other guitars with Lindy Fralin PAFs (twice the price).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom