Replacing P10-Rs in a Fender Vibrolux.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Artimus82, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Heya Gang (first post here, I'm nervous omg)
    So... I just picked up a Fender Custom Vibrolux in August. I LOVE this amp. In many ways it's showed me what a REAL amp is supposed to act like.
    For what I'm playing these days, it's the perfect size (40W) and perfect weight (my god was I tired of lugging heads and cabs around).
    I like how it breaks really early, but I don't like how she starts to compress really early. It seems like after a certain point, I have no control over anything tonally, it's just a wide open snarl (which is okay for some sounds). Sometimes the speakers 'fart' too during a clean run.
    Now, I'm still getting used to playing an amp without a mid control anywhere, so I'm trying to find something useful in a treble and bass setting.
    With that said, I was thinking of replacing the P10-R's in hopes that I could get more clean head room and have the speakers break a little later, maybe get a tighter low end as well. Not that the P10's don't have something of a tight low end, but like I said, there's the occasional 'fart'.
    I've been reading up on Celestion Vintage 10's and 10" Greenbacks. Also read into Webers a bit (people really like to replace these P10's with Webers).

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or input as far as what I should look into here? This is my first dive into changing speakers. I only ever was into Celestion V30's in the past as I used heads into 4x12 and 2x12 cabs.

Thanks for any input guys :)

2. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Bump...

buehler...
    buehler...
    buehler...

3. Brien

Brien Member

Weber 10f150s (more low end, warmer), or 10f125s. Ceramics sound right in most BF amps to me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. doublee

doublee Member

As said above the 10F150's are working very well in my 2 Vibro's, as are Naylor and Tone Tubby ceramics...

5. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

JBL MI-10's would be a great little speaker for that amp.

What you're after is a higher power handling speaker that won't power compress so soon...your voice coils are reaching thermal saturation too soon and killing the amps output and tone.

6. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

7. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Thanks guys.
    Just for affirmation's sake, no one has an opinion on Celestions or anything else, no?

thanks again, I'll be looking into the 10F150's :)

8. joe scannell

joe scannell Member

I use 1 ragin cajun in mine and it does the trick. Two made it too heavy and loud for my needs. It adds more bass and tightens things up a bit. It's great for rockin the blues with a strat.

9. burns

burns Member

i put celestion 10's in my blond custom vibrolux and they sound great. i'm not sure of the model but it's whatever they put in the prosonic (got em' from a fender dealer). nice and warm and never fart out. the other guitar player in my band plays thru a vibro-king and i have no problem hangin' with him. a very worthwhile improvement.