Replacing S1 switching with regular volume pot?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ~sounddjinn~, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

Hi Folks ~ I have a 2006 A.D. QMT Strat, with the S1 switching and would like to replace this with a regular old volume pot. I've read some conflicting things regarding what needs to be done. Some say the pot is the only thing that needs to be changed, others say that the 5-way switch needs to be changed as well. Some straight answers would be nice!

Also, I believe that the stock pot in this guitar is a 500k. Is this to accommodate the s1 switching somehow? Most Fender pots are 250k, if I'm not mistaken, so when replacing it with a 'regular pot', do I want a 500k, or 250k?

Thanks!

jason

2. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Don't know why your getting rid of the S1, but the wiring diagram is on fenders site under service diagrams. You shouldn't need to replace the switch, just rewire it, and if it's 500k stick with that, gives the noiseless pickups a bit more treble. I'd keep the S1 unless it is giving you issues.

3. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

Thanks, the volume pot is bad actually. Sometimes, when I turn the volume all the way down, it doesn't do anything. That is, the volume doesn't actually turn down. Sometimes it works fine, then the next night it doesn't work. I've tried lots of deoxit and it doesn't seem to help. I've read that there are lots of problems with the s1 switching system. I'd just as soon be rid of it. Too busy, it looks like a rats nest in there. I prefer it to be short and sweet.

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

Ah, the QMT. It's got a bridge humbucker and only the one master tone knob, correct? It'll also have a superswitch in it to go with the S1.

If you just want to change it to standard strat switching (albeit with one master tone) then you only REALLY need to replace the volume pot; you can re-use the switch and tone pot. BUT, you'll have to do a bunch of desoldering on that switch so, if it was me, I'd just as soon get a new standard 5-way for $10 and avoid the hassle.

And stick with the current value of the pot (500k) unless the guitar sounds too bright as it is. It's probably a good match for those pickups.

5. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

How about just replacing the S1 switch, that one will be the easiest and give you all your switching options. If You want to get rid of it, keep the super switch, it's not that much work to rewire it, and you'll be able to autotap position 2, and I like removing the tone control in position 4.

6. fumbler

fumbler Member

The SC's are noiseless so splitting the HB would introduce noise. I think that pickup is wired to split, not tap. So that would be a problem. And secondly, you could do that with a standard 5-way since the main wiring only uses one side of the switch.

You can certainly do that with the superswitch. But I would think it would be bright enough with a 500k volume pot and without the double tone pot loading of vintage strat wiring.

7. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to try and replace the volume pot with a regular 500k.
    I really like the quilted top, but rear loaded guitars sure are more work when doing this stuff. Now it's just a matter of making sense of that birds nest, lol.

8. fumbler

fumbler Member

So you like having to take off the strings and pickguard (and possibly the neck if it has a 22-fret overhang) every time you need to do some soldering on a "normal" strat? :nuts

9. ~sounddjinn~

~sounddjinn~ Member

I have big hands, so it's hard for me to work in that tiny little cavity. I usually end up using tweezers. So, to answer your question, yes!
    I do prefer the look of no pick-guard though.