Replacing stock tele pickups and electronics?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GTRICH, Feb 25, 2009.

1. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I want to replace the stock pickups in my 2004 Ash Body Maple Neck American Telecaster. I think its bridge pickup is a bit thin sounding, and the neck pickup just has no balls. I guess I want it to sound more similar to my Les Paul in at least the gain department.

I was thinking about putting in three pickups, extra knobs, and making it a monster. Can anyone suggest some pickups and interesting switchable passive/active electronics.... like coil tap/single/double/phase or any other oddities so I can make my guitar a Swiss Army Knife? The old BC Rich guitars come to mind because they had so many knobs and switches.

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Thanks!

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Lollar Firebird neck, Wolfetone Strat bluesy middle and Don Mare Broadcaster bridge.
    5 way switch
    Push pull tone bypass.
    Nothing more. Get real. Ya want tone or ya want oddities?
    Purge BC Rich from your mind and enjoy life here on the other side.

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

A Tele already IS a Swiss Army knife.

Find yourself some pickups with real cajones, make good use of the tone and volume knobs, and you'll be shocked how many sounds you can get out of a Tele. But first, swap the pickups if the ones you have aren't doing it.

4. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

Wow, these pickups look really cool. You must have been reading my mind because I was thinking about mini-humbuckers because I played an old Epiphone with minis, and it sounde real nice.

And yes, I want both tone and oddities!! :)

5. aziltz

aziltz Member

i'm going to be doing just this with my highway one. SD Five-Two's all around. 4Way Switch

6. noredr2

noredr2 Member

I ended up putting a Seymour Duncan p-rails in the neck...nothing too fancy, but definitely versatile. However, looking for a good bridge pu to balance it out. thoughts?