• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Replacing Strat Tuners

StratoCraig

So... if my MIM Standard Strat came with (and still has) this kind of tuner:

Fender Standard Series Guitar Tuning Machine

and I want to replace it with this kind:

Fender Pure Vintage Guitar Tuning Machines

what do I need to do? It looks like I'll need to drill two small holes per tuning machine on the back of the headstock, at the very least. Will I need to widen the main hole or anything?

Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, but I think the Pure Vintage tuners are the kind where, like a bass, you clip the string and push the tip down into a hole in the top of the tuner (toward the headstock) rather than threading it through the side like most guitar tuners, right? That's the difference I'm looking for. I like the vintage-style tuners on my Fender Deluxe Players Strat, and I want the same kind for my other Strats.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Eagle1

You need to drill the holes for the screws and use adapter bushings as the holes are too large.
Allparts sell them.

swiveltung

If you want tighter/ better than the original Kluson type you show in yur second link, try the Tone Pro's ones. Look similar but much tighter. They are more money though. The Kluson's seem to be a turkey shoot now days. Typically one or even two of the six will be pretty loose. There are some inexpensive Gotoh sealed ones that are pretty good and an easy fit also... one screw/offset.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i vote for the gotoh klusons, they consistently work well. (they've come stock on american reissue fenders and les pauls for years now.)