Replacing Tele saddles with Bigsby

Sjayers

So I recently got a Tele with a Bigsby. I wanted to replace the saddles, as the shallow break angle from the Bigsby wasn't holding the strings in place well. Also the brass was quickly beginning to show signs of "sawing". My saddles from Marc Rutters came in today. Trouble is, I can't access the saddle screws, as they are too close to the Bigsby roller bar. I guess I will go look for a tiny right angle screwdriver tomorrow, but in the meantime... does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation, or tips for making it work? As an addition, it seems that the screws in Marc's saddles are a bit larger. So I was able to carefully get the original one out, as it slid out pretty easy. But the new one seems like it needs to be screwed in the whole way, making the screwdriver situation scene even more difficult.

Sjayers

Problem solved, for anyone who was wondering. I was able to removed the bridge and slightly enlarge the holes for the saddle screws, and install them while the bridge was removed. New saddles are on now, and strings are staying in place nicely.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The Callahan Tee bridge plate for Bigsby with brass compensated saddles have slots in the tips. Another way to skin the cat.

Sjayers

Nice. I thought about those, but I wasn't sure how the brass would hold up with the "sawing" from the Bigsby. They work well for you?

The Callahan Tee bridge plate for Bigsby with brass compensated saddles have slots in the tips.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Nice. I thought about those, but I wasn't sure how the brass would hold up with the "sawing" from the Bigsby. They work well for you?
Intonation is spot on and I don't see any considerable wear. Rock solid tuning with polished bone nut and slotted vintage tuners.

Trending Topics