Replacing the second tone(American strat).

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by LastDon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. LastDon

LastDon Guest

If someday i decide to change the second tone(I have an american strat) what can I change it to?
    I mean I heard something about option to change it to a delay.
    Thanks.

2. Wally

Wally Guest

Don, that second tone pot can be changed to a bass control (roll off) pot. G&L does this on some of their instruments.

3. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

there are a number of popular options...if it's an American, it may have the tbx. you can change it out to a std 250K pot and rig that to the bridge pickup to roll off the highs.

another popular way to go is make that 2nd tone a blender pot.

4. bek

bek Member

In my Strat, I wired up the outside tone pot as a master-tone, and replaced the middle pot with a 3-way rotary switch. Renders a lot of cool tone options, cheap & easy to do, plus I heard somewhere that SRV favored a master-tone setup so it was worth a try. GREAT results.

5. billstets

billstets Member

I wired the bottom tone control to the bridge and moved the top tone control to the middle. The tone control for the bridge is a no-load and I really like it on the bridge. I don't use the other one though.

I read that the TBX tone control rolls off bass in one direction and highs in the other, so I was thinking of the getting one of those for the top tone control. Is it possible to wire it to both the middle and neck?