• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Replacing the speaker in my '61 Deluxe

MrBoZiffer

My '61 Deluxe has a non-original '64 Oxford (ceramic). It's obviously been with the amp a long time and is needing a recone. I think the recone would help, but I'm curious what an alnico speaker might be like with this amp. I'm considering replacing it with a Weber 12A125A. Has anybody used this speaker? What are your thoughts on it? I love this amp so I don't want to change it drastically, but the 12A125A seems like a good fit. Weber bills it as having an early 60's Fender sound.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
The 12a125a is a good repro. If you want a little more bass handling, but still traditional sound, check out the 12a150a. I put one in my 5e3 clone and I love it. I had a Celestion Blue in there and I felt like I found the amp's tone when I put the Weber in.

MrBoZiffer

Thanks! The extra bass response is tempting. I really like the pure midrange OD like it is, so I wonder if the extra bass will be a little overkill. What about the 150T? Any experience with it?

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Either the 12A125 or the 12A150 would be fine, with the 150's I like to go with the T version as it has more top end.

FWIW, I am using a Greenback in my 62 Deluxe and really just love it, I also tried a late 60's silver alnico Celestion in it as well and loved it too but it was a tad toppy with Strats an Tele's for me...

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Go with the 12A125 S with the 8 ribbed pulp cone and get it in the 30 watt version, light dope and have them break it in for you.

redtoploader

Go with the 12A125 S with the 8 ribbed pulp cone and get it in the 30 watt version, light dope and have them break it in for you.
YES!

These speakers don't get near enough press IMO, they seem to be forgotten. I had a pair of ceramic versions in a brown bassman that just killed. Great speakers for early 60s amps.

I'd go with that or the a125a, for a brown deluxe.

dehughes

YES!

These speakers don't get near enough press IMO, they seem to be forgotten. I had a pair of ceramic versions in a brown bassman that just killed. Great speakers for early 60s amps.

I'd go with that or the a125a, for a brown deluxe.
What's the difference between the A and S? I know it's a cone thing....more ribs? Different dust cover? Tonally, how would they differ?

I had a P12Q-30w, light dope, and loved it, but I don't even see that model offered anymore...

Trending Topics