Replacing tubes in an Egnater M4 / Randall RM4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elambo, Jun 11, 2005.

1. elambo

elambo Member

Has anyone done this? They ship with lower-end Electro Harmonix tubes, which sound pretty good on their own, but I wonder what affect a better tube would have in these preamps...

Has anyone tried a different 12AX7? What kind? In the modules, chassis, or both?

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I Have the Egnater version and replaced all of the AX7s with NOS 80's chinese and the AT7 with an old Sylvania. I want to try some telefunkens in the blackface module.

Change them and see if ya like the change. I 'm not a big fan of the EH tubes.

3. ned911

ned911 Member

I'm going to drop some JJ ECC83S (high-gain) in my Plexi module today, only because I have them laying around. Will report back on how they sound.

4. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

The Egnater M4 ships with ElectroHarmonix EH tubes. We have found these to be the most consistent and reliable at this time. Please let us know if you find other tubes (not NOS) that you feel perform better.

Thanks

5. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Cool to see you around here Bruce.

There has been some pretty positive talk here lately about your current line. Just orderd a MOD 50 myself and look forward to it. Frank is very cool to talk with and was a big help.

Can you give us any info on additional modules you have in the works?

Thanks!

Craig

6. elambo

elambo Member

I just opened a Randall Top Boost module and noticed that it's a Sovtek tube, NOT an EH. I might have been thinking of the Egnater modules which, as Bruce has said here, uses EH.

Bruce - I'm one of the first owners of a complete dual-channel M4 and I have to commend you and the design -- I'm VERY happy and don't feel the need to replace any of its tubes. I'm recording without an amp (out of the M4 into a Palmer PDI-09 cab sim, then into a Neve 1272 preamp) and it's a gorgeous sound.

Could the Egnater modules be better with other tubes? Perhaps, but I don't feel the need to experiment with them, just the Randalls.

I'd like to see what I get with different tubes in those modules, but I'm still hoping for some suggestions before I order random types.

7. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Hi Bruce, I am considering the new amp and new modules. Are the modules close to being finished? Thanks

8. elambo

elambo Member

Which modules are you making reference to?

The only new ones I've heard about are the dual channel, which are out already. Is there a new type of module also?

9. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Yes , I meant the dual channel. I guess they are out of stock. Just wondering when they will be available again.

10. elambo

elambo Member

I should let someone at Egnater's shop answer for clarification, but I was told recently that there's a three week wait for new orders.

11. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

Parts...parts...parts. There's always something. Now we are waiting for the module circuit boards again. Should be in late this week. 3 weeks is about right for delivery. Sorry, wish we could build faster but it just takes a lot of time and we are only a few people. Keep in mind, we pretty much build to order because we are quite back ordered. We would love to have everything in stock, on the shelf and ready to ship, but it's just not gonna' happen right now. That means don't wait for us to have something in stock. You really must place orders to "get in line". Really no different than any other small company. The dream of every small manufacturer is to ship from stock. As we all know, that is a very big feat for small companies.

egnater

12. ned911

ned911 Member

Bruce-

Dell has built of very successful business by not carrying stock. Stock has a cost associated with it - if you can build "just in time" your ahead of the game.

Ned

13. Steve Snider

This stuff is worth the wait. 3 weeks is nothing.

14. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Steve, what have you found to be the best speakers/cab combo with yours?

Looks like he still likes the V30's, at least the web page list them as standard with his cabs.

CC

15. Steve Snider

I like my Bogner 2X12 closed back but haven't tried much else as that's what is at the place my band is rehearsing. I need to get a second MOD100 or perhaps a 50 for home use. I did order a pair of Egnater 1X12s .

Soon as I get back from a trip away from home this week, I will be putting up most of my amps on the used gear sites. This will help fund more modules, cabs etc., and payoff some debt.

This Egnater stuff is very addictive so watch out.

16. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

Funny thing, I am looking at this purchase as a way to save $ in the long run.........

Speaking of speakers, I did not think to ask, what are the speaker out options on the head 4/8/16 ect.?

Will you be able to run the two 1x12 together?

Thanks

C

17. Steve Snider

4/8/16

dual outs so I can run a pair of 16 ohm 1X12 cabs.

18. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

My wife didnt buy that line either:rolleyes:

19. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Hi Bruce, great to see you around here. I had a chance to demo the randall modules at the la amp show. I was very impressed with the sounds, and I think they'll be a perfect addition my studio. Before I jump in I'd love to know:

What're the main differences between the randall modules and the egnater modules, besides 1 vs. 2 channels? Also, do your 2 channel modules share the tone stack between the two channels?

Thanks!

20. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Hi Bruce, I've had the Randall MTS 3 module head for 2 years. It is great concept and I have enjoyed the modules very much. Do you still work with Randall? I have all twelve modules. Do you know of a case that you put all of the modules when not in the head? Do you know of any issues with screwing in the modules over time. Mine are getting harder and harder to switch out. Thanks