Replacing tubes in Silvertone 1484 newbie questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Ros, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Please pardon my ignorance when it comes to obvious questions but I figured it's better to ask than remain a dummy! ;)

I had some friends over on Saturday and found out that two of my trusty amps were behaving badly. My Silvertone 1484 head would make a loud blaring noise that would go away every so often. I turned it off, much to my one friend's dismay .. he loves that amp. Then my MiM Hot Rod Deville 2x12 started making what sounds like a tuning fork tone while at rest.

From all the research I've been able to do over the weekend it seems to me that both amps may have microphonic preamp tubes? The Silvertone takes four 12AX7's (it also has two 6GC7's?) and the HR Deville takes three 12AX7's.

My questions are, do I have to replace all the preamp tubes at once or can I replace just the bad ones (providing I can find them) and do I have to have the amps rebiased (I think the MiM can be since it has an internal variable bias control?) or is that only necessary when you replace power tubes? Will any 12AX7's do or should I be looking for specific ones for those two amps?

Thanks in advance for helping a tube dummy out! :worried

-R.

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

We ask, and we learn...:) If the tubes are microphonic, you can change only the "bad" tubes, and with luck, they may work just fine in another slot. In other words, try moving V1 to V2. Re-biasing is not necessary when changing pre-amp tubes, only with power tubes (and then only if the amp is fixed bias). The brand choice is up to you. As many opinions about the "right" tubes as there are players on the internet.

Mike

3. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

What he said :agree.The 1484 has easily accessible tubes(least mine does)take off the preamp covers and lightly tap them with a chopstick,pen etc...the offender should be very obvious if that is the prob.[​IMG]

4. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the education! :) I'm a little upset about the Silvertone since it still has all its original tubes. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Oh, and soldersucker, that's one super clean 1484!! I wish mine looked as nice! :)

-R.