Replacing wires on Strat pups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MK50H, May 17, 2006.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

I have some Strat pups that have rather short tails :(. I'd really like to tidy up the wiring and replace the tails.

I am a bit concerned that I might burn through the winding wire. Am I being overly cautious?

Also, what spec wire should I look for? They have shielded cable at the moment, and I guess this is a good thing.

Anyway, all info will be most welcome :AOK
    Thanks

2. MK50H

MK50H Member

:jo Sorry, I should have added that I have a thermostatically controlled soldering iron. So, if anyone knows what temp I should use for this...

Maybe that'd make it safer :)

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

No , you're not being overly cautious at all , in fact it's like doing micro surgery with that size wire on the coil. The start winding is the most critical since it goes deep into the coil and if you break it back inside.....well it's rewind time. The finish end is a little easier in that you can just unwrap another turn to get more length. I set the iron hot so the solder melts fast and doesn't have time to transfer as much heat to the rest of the pickup. Approx. 700 deg F+/-....I also use a desoldering iron and/or vacuum pump to remove as much solder as possible . It's a pretty delicate operation which is why you see so many pickups with short tails that haven't had new leads installed. I'd practice on some junk pickups first before attempting it on anything I cared about. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Dave C

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

replacing the tails can be done but requires excellent soldering skills...a steady hand and some practice...I wouldn't attempt it unless you have excellent soldering skills...

if you're going to be using the pickups yourself a more common and safer practice is to extend the tales and then use heat shrink tubing to cover the connection...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Are we alowed to wring the necks of the @#$% jokers the cut the leads in the first place?
    BTW A+ on the hot iron. Pre-tin the new lead and get in-and-out quick. You will burn the bobbin before the copper melts. Seen a few dead pu's that the solder was not burnt through the winding insulation...just something to watch for.

6. has-sound

has-sound Member

700-800 degrees farinheit on the iron. CAREFULLY remove the old lead and CAREFULLY guide the new pre-tinned lead into the eyelet without letting it hang up on the coil wire. Heat the eyelet and solder for no more than 2-3 seconds, anything longer than that and you risk burning the coil wire into.

Good Luck.
    -Stan

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I cut wires to the exact length needed for a strat installation. But, I only know one guy who wires strat p/g's neater than I do. Of course, he taught me...:)