Replicate dying battery on powered fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by topfencer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. topfencer

topfencer Member

I've heard a lot of people talk about the "dying battery" sound of a fuzz (looking into my first one currently). However, having just acquired a Furman pedalboard - with extra space...hence the fuzz GAS lol - it seems like it should be fairly easy to replicate that (and what the PP2 does) using the power cables.

To be it seems like you'd just need a small box (I'm thinking T1M mini size), a pot, two Boss type jacks, and you should be good to go, right? Ideally maybe a switch to reverse the output polarity to match various fuzzes. So my questions is...

Is this right? Has anyone done this? Does anyone sell these already (haven't seen them)? Does it even matter? Thanks!

2. ragingben

ragingben Member

Hey, not meaning to plug but I have recently started making these, which is essentially what you want. However it is very simple to make one of these without the voltmeter, based on this project from the guys at Beavis Audio. To make exactly what you want you would ideally need:

1x Hammond 1590A enclosure
    2 x 2.1mm dc jack sockets (one wired neg center, one pos center)
    1 x DPDT toggle switch
    1 x 10k pot (linear)
    1 x 2.2k resistor (preferably 1w)

If you want it to be switchable with LED you will also need a 3PDT footswitch, a LED and a 2.2k 1/4w resistor (1/4 +, it doesn't matter) and probably a small peice of vero board if you want to do a neat job.

It is a great little thing to make and you can get some awesome fuzz tones! Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. wailsound

wailsound Member

It's super easy to make , Dwaftcraft make one. I have made two for friends and I am going to integrate it into my fuzz projects.Make it your self.

M

4. topfencer

topfencer Member

Thanks guys. Ragingben, what if I just wanted a simple LED indicator (but no footswitch) to indicate when it was outputting reverse polarity?

Also, any recommendations for where to buy these parts? I've gotten guitar parts from guitarpartsresource and heard good things about Redco audio (been meaning to start making some cables that I need...), but not sure if they'd have these. Thanks.

5. snipelfritz

snipelfritz Member

Yeah, Aen makes the power starve (I don't like his new website layout :huh ):
    [​IMG]

and Beavis audio has some pretty explicit (not in THAT way) directions for making your own:
    http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

6. ragingben

ragingben Member

Let me see....

OK I have done a quick layout on DIY layout creator. I haven't been able to do it very well as I'm in a rush at work so my appologies for it's crudeness, but basically you use a DPDT toggle switch, and on one side you switch the positive between the 2 output (one goes neg center, one pos center). The grounds are always all connected and the otherside of the DPDT toggle is used to connect the LED's kathode to ground when you are in negative center mode (you can switch the lug so that it connects in postive center mode if you want). You need to have 3x 2.1mm sockets, one input and the two outputs like the dwarfcraft. I would wire the input as center negative as this is pretty much the standard these days.

[​IMG]

The 2.2k resistor between the pot and ground is 1w, the 2.2k resistor between the DPDT (well, the LED kathode really) and ground is 1/4w, but anything above would be fine. Have you got a multimeter? If you have that is the easiest way to check which lug on the 2.1mm sockets connects to the center.

In the UK I use Doctor Tweek for my components, where are you? Mouser, RS, Farnell and Rapid Online are all pretty good, and in the US I hear small bear electronics are amazing for pedal parts, but I'm sure the US guys could name others. sometimes mouser etc have such a big catalog getting things like pots can be overwhelming, so I would go for a deicated pedal part supplier if you can as you can save a ton of time, support a great business and get parts you know are sutible and of a good quality.

And if were going to show off power starve pedals, here's mine :)

[​IMG]

7. topfencer

topfencer Member

Very cool, Ragingben. Thanks a lot! Now to start saving for a fuzz pedal so I'll have a reason to build this...

8. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Here's my article on dying battery sims referenced by Beavis on his page:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/patent2.htm

The last one on the page is slightly more complicated with a few advantages. Note that you must drive a 9v regulator with at least 11.5v because of the dropout inherent in the regulator chip (12v to 18v will work fine).

regards, Jack

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

looks slick man, good work :)

10. ragingben

ragingben Member