Report from Fur Peace Ranch

guitrr

Reverb Junkie
After a 900+ mile drive home (with a little pitstop at Fat Sound Guitars), I just arrived at the homestead, after a 3 day weekend with Bill Kirchen at the Fur Peace Ranch.

The opportunity to hang with Bill, not to mention actually have him teach his style, was nothing short of amazing. He's a very cool guy, great player, and incredibly modest. I picked his brain a bit about the music business, verses making music, and he offered some great insight and tips, since he is self-managed and booked.

Our class was definitely twang-a-licious, with teles and Fender amps being the dominant species. Bill's licks are sublime, and we all just tried our best to keep up.

During this particular weekend, Jorma Kaukonen was also teaching a class, along with another with Tim Reynolds at the helm. We got to see all three of them onstage at different times, and even a little bit together, which was a real treat!

This was not my first "Guitar Camp", but was my first at Fur Peace, and I have to say, it was wonderful. The vibe is great, the staff rocks, and even the food is outstanding. HIGHLY recommended.

Bill was nice enough to pose with me; a gracious man for sure.

Kane

soulohio

great! I have been interested in Jorma's deal down thar...can you explain a bit more what was covered?

I spent some time drooling over the Fur Peace online brochure, especially the Kirchen weeks, earlier this year. Couldn't find a way to make it happen this year, but hope to sometime soon. Very jealous of your trip!

opdev

I went and took a Jorma class in2007 (Jorma Weekend). One of the best things I have done. Worth every penny. I want to go back.

I thought about tking Bill K's class next.

I took a class with G.E. Smith in 2006. Definitely a cool place to hang for a weekend! Jorma & Vanessa are excellent hosts too!

bynt

Wow cool!!! I'd love to go when Ed Gerhardt is there. Congrats. Did you learn a bunch?

Can't recommend FPR highly enough. Been there 4 or 5 times, each time as good as the first. I've met Chris Smither, Ed Gearhard, Sally van Meter, Cindy Cashdollar, Geoff Achison and many others. Just missed getting into a class with Sonny Landreth a couple of years back. Jorma and Vanessa are wonderful hosts. It's really a magical place.

Scottone

I drove down there to see Electric Hot Tuna a couple of summers ago and it seems like a nice spot.

Would love to take a class there sometime..

fiddler

Sounds like a blast!! Bill's an amazing player and a great guy to boot....I chatted with him for a few after he did a SMOKIN' HOT gig at the Carrboro 4th of July Celebration last year

I've done GE's electric and Jorma's Level 2 workshops....both were Born Again experiences!!

I will be there 2 weeks from today for Marjorie Thompson's Country Blues / Songcrafting workshop....I Can't wait !!!!!

Bill Kirchen's workshop is definitely on my "FPR workshop's I gotta attend" list for sure (and Tommy Emmanual...and Roy Book Binder....and Bob Margolin....and.....Jorma Level 3........... and..and....and)

Fur Peace Ranch IS Guitar Player Heaven in my opinion (Mandolin and Bass Heaven too) !! A Magical Place as Russ stated

PS: 900 miles????...Holy s&%t!!!!!!

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Been to the NGW 5X but never Fur Peace, I really should consider it! Bill K. was our special guest at the NGW in Nashville in '01 plus he's a local who plays all over town so of course I know him, have seen him play many times and love his music.

But I'll tell you what's coolest of all: my brother will be married this coming Halloween night and the band at his reception will be Bill Kirchen and The Too Much Fun Band. :D

As Bill says, "Peace and twang!"

FirstBassman

I will be there 2 weeks from today for Marjorie Thompson's Country Blues / Songcrafting workshop....I Can't wait !!!!!

Please let me know what you think of Marjorie's class.
I was thinking about it but went with Geoff Achison (in September) instead.
Part of the reason was I've signed up for other writing classes at FPR before and they've been cancelled for lack of students.

And I like Marjorie a lot but her style is quite different than mine.
So let me know. Thanks!

Been to the NGW 5X but never Fur Peace, I really should consider it!

Jon, you've gone to NGW five times? Ever go to Madeira?
Which workshops have you taken?

I went once to McLean and was very disappointed.
Ninety percent were 16-year-olds only interested in shredding.

Thanks, - Mark

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I went to CT in '00 and '02-'05 and Nashville in '01.

Not interested any more in the NGW, they've raised their prices too high for my wallet.

jordanL

Been to the NGW 5X but never Fur Peace, I really should consider it! Bill K. was our special guest at the NGW in Nashville in '01

As Bill says, "Peace and twang!"
That was fun! Can't belive that was 8 years ago.
I've been to NGW 11X, never to FPR.

fiddler

FirstBassman:

Will do on the follow up on Marjorie's class....I know I will learn a ton of stuff from her as she was Jorma's "TA" (as always) when I took his Level 2 fingerpicking class. GREAT teacher, GREAT musician, AMAZING songwriter!!

She e-mailed me last week that there are 7 signed up for the class, which should be pretty cool since the other workshops I attended had like 12 or more pickers.

LESS than 2 weeks 'til I'm back at THE Ranch!! I'm giddy as a schoolgirl right now!!

Last edited:

fullerplast

Please let me know what you think of Marjorie's class.
I was thinking about it but went with Geoff Achison (in September) instead.
You're in for a treat with Geoff. He's an amazing player. I spent a couple of weeks at FPR back in the earliest days of the ranch, before the weekend only sessions, and got to jam with Geoff quite a bit. We've stayed in touch over the years and he's been over to my place when touring. It was a blast taking him out to the local blues jams....."Who the f*ck was that???" :D

I swear between him and guys like Tommy Emmanuel and Jeff Lang there must be something in the Aussie water.

Trending Topics