1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Report on Scumbacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Sep 27, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Report:

Well they definitely held together better than the Tonespotter British fart emulators. Sounded zactly like greenbacks to me, without the conecry inherent in the reissues. I didn't like the bass cone model as much as I did the other one, but it was still a pretty good speaker. For someone looking for a greenback, the Scumbacks get about as close as I have heard yet. Not that I'm anybody, but I'd recommend them for greenback lovers.

Still, I cannot get past my lust of the G12-65's!

End of report:

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

And you haven't seen my ad for G12-65's yet? LOL

Glad you liked the speakers...considering what you're already playing, I'll take that as a compliment. Did you get together with Bob for a test?

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Sure did Jim. We ran some amps through the Scumbags. I was well pleased. No cone cry whatsoever. My g12m's have it bad.:eek: I ran out of time after we were befuddled by the Tonespotters acting wierd, would of liked to played the Scumbacks some more, but parental obligations called. I can't wait till Greensboro to try out the Scumbag amp! I can guarantee with certainty you'll play circles around me bro.:eek: :D

Take care mang.

4. Scumback Speakers

Do you have the standard G12M Reissues (1777 cone) or the new Heritage 20watters?

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had some heritage model$ that really I dug for a while and sold along with a 4x12 to my younger brother. They didn't have the conecry like the chinese reissues loaded in my Zinky. The chinese ri's are ok for rythm, but just too thin for leads, and under certain circumstances, can cry like a banshee. I guess I have just become tired of greenbacks in general here lately.
    :)

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

That made me laugh really hard.

Thanks for the brief comments on the SBs - I've got a pair I can't wait to get to using!

--chiba

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That was kinda' funny:D

Serioulsly, if you are into Greenbacks you won't be dissappointed in the Scumbacks bro. I think it's designed on a Weber and they seem to have a pretty good reputation just about with everyone I talk to.:)

8. jockman

jockman Member

OOOOHHH tell me more!!!!!.

I have Marshall branded G12-65's in a 2x12 extention cab, I use it with my 20w Park combo, lovely sound, very clear and 'glassy' I find they do not have a specific frequency that comes through, very nicely balanced. I'd be interested in your thoughts Mr Scumbag.:)

jon

9. Scumback Speakers

MISTER SCUMBAG? (looks around for someone important... :) LOL)
    I have 14 of them, tested at the local Celestion warranty repair station, they all passed their tests, so no voice coil rub, no vibrations, no issues (other than dust, of course). I have four of the Marshall script logo models from 78/79.

I use them in closed back 4x12 cabs, but in an open backed cab with some real gain they work nicely, too. What else did you want to know? My ad for them is in the Dealers' Emporium (cost you an arm & leg to ship back to the UK, but at least there won't be customs' duties). :D

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

British fart emulators?

11. jockman

jockman Member

$100 each ? Looks like I got a bargain, 2 for £35.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was your opinions on the tone, being a well respected connoisseur of tone (;) )
    I have them in a large empty combo, semi-closed. The strange thing is, in my Park 20w combo lives a Fane classic 12/150, on its own it sounds full and warm, disconnect that, and connect the ext cab with the G12-65's and the sound becomes bigger (well duh!) but more glassy, slightly less bass and a nice top that has 'presence'. I want to change the Fane, I was thinking about a Swamp thang. ??

Jon

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yeah but his friends just call him Satan.

As in "Knock Knock....Satan Calling....Kiss your old pathetic speakers goodbye!"

Don't ask what the GF calls him when she's looking at my check book.:D

Seriously, great freaking speakers. I like a few of the new Eminences, but the 'bags are a cut above...Several cuts above...