• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Repotting my new Arcane pickups ?

vhollund

Hello

My new tele pickups sound amazing but are EXTREMLY microphonic, squeeling alot. Boost pedals are no go.
It's very frustrating to deal with
You can basically sing into it like a live microphone
On recommendations from the builder these are laquer potted
But had I known better, I'd gone with wax pottingfor sure

My choices are either to buy a new pair with better potting for 250 $ or to get them repotted
Does anyone here have experience with repotting and prices in Europe ?
I live in France but l'm not adverse to have to looking elsewhere for good price/quality.

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure but at one time to at bareknuckle would repot for people for like 50 bux or so. That's closer to you than the US is.

I'm sure you could do them yourself if you wanted to mess with it though.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
You can pot it yourself, it's really easy.
I potted a tele bridge pickup very recently.
I put paraffin wax in a empty strawberry jam glass, put that in a waterbath on the stovetop, heating slowly until the wax melted.
I monitored the temperature and kept it at around 65C.
I let the pickup soak for about 15 minutes. Result was perfect.

Mpcoluv

Will wax permeate the coil that is lacquer potted?
In what conditions does it squeal?
Potting can ruin otherwise fantastic pickup’s tone....

vhollund

It squeels as soon as you use light overdrive
Or if you play loud clean to compete with a band
I don't often use very saturated tones but just a little creamyness/crunch is nice even for rhythm stuff
It would have to be repottet
Laquer is dipped in acetone to dissolve as far as i know

vhollund

Thanks for the advices guys !
I just called Rob from Arcane who made them, (better to call him than email) and he sais he will repot to wax for free
So that's what I'll do !

vhollund

Hello
I did try what Mike suggested today and it does improve alot. So far I've tested with an old cube 20 on full without problem, but later today I'm playing with full band and boost pedals, so I'll be back to report.

Some people prefer the microphonic laquerpotted Pups being a little more broadrange freq like with a real micrphone.
I'm relatively new to telecasters so still learning the sounds and options but these mics sure sound great. Very lively and easy to place in a mix.

Mpcoluv

That is not my experience.....
I’m glad it worked out for you.
I stand by my comment that potting (ex. Type of potting, time in the dip, etc...) can negatively effect tone. This of course depends on your playing style and gain. If you use Uber gain the you will likely need potting new

Trending Topics