Repro Levant for late '60s Marshall cabinet??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Knucklehead, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I've been looking at a number of sites that specialize in replacement Levant or Tolex for Marshall equipment, and have a question. I'm looking to recover a '68 Marshall Basketweave 4 x 12 bottom. The cabinet's basketweave grill is in fine shape, but the levant is about 60% and what's left is rough.
    What is the closest reproduction levant to the original, (the levant on this cabinet looks like the black with a dull green hue? and what supplier sells it?
    Thanks!!

2. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

knucklehead,

I'm sure you're already aware of this vendor, but the closest repro tolex I've seen is from Mojotone. Levant pattern is what you'd want for the Marshall cabinet... not the Elephant grain, that came later. Look under Coverings then tweed and tolex. They have both basic black and the greenish-tint black.

http://www.mojotone.com

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

Thanks for the info. I looked at that same site some time ago. I wonder if that "Green" levant is actually a strong looking green, or if it's a Black with a greenish hue like the originals, Maybe I should ask for a small sample to see what color levant matches the original albeit faded levant.

4. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

Yeah it's a strong green hue, your better off with black in either case it's not dead on to the original stuff.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

Thanks for the info on the "Green" levant. I'll probably end up ordering the Black stuff unless another source turns up, Do you know if this stuff is like what's on the new Marshall handwired 4 x 12 cabinets?