Request for Opinions on the new Epiphone SG Standard 61

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Waxhead, May 14, 2020.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    G'day

I'm considering this new Epi model as a dedicated slide guitar

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPINKN592/SG-Standard-61/Vintage-Cherry

it has CTS electrics, fret binding and graphtec nut as upgrades over the previous G-400 range.
    I don't want a vibrola, cherry red is good and I'd probly raise the action some for slide.

I know it would benefit from a pup upgrade and that real Gibsons are better but .......

this would be for slide 90% of the time and even a used Gibson SG standard is x2 or x3 the price of this Epi here in Australia on Ebay, Reverb or Gumtree. So here it's not better value to just get a used Gibson.

I'd be interested in opinions from TPG owners or people who've played this new Epi.
    I'm gonna go test some out myself in stores.

Does this Epi SG Standard 61 have neck dive?
    What's QA/QC like on these Epi's - are they inconsistent in build quality?
    Any other comments welcome plz

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Would like to play one. The quality on the new Epiphones over the past couple of years have been incredible. My only complaint has been their thick finishes..dulls the tone. Hope these have a thinner finish
    FWIW..Their pickups have been very good,’!.If you get one try it with the stock pick ups first you may be in for a pleasant surprise

Da Geezer and Waxhead like this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

4. soma

soma Member

Also very interested. Had to sell my Gibson LP during the lockdown but could stretch to one of these.

Such a shame they don't have it in Pelham Blue too - just the P90 special.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I just got a new SG Special P90 Pro from Sweetwater. There were a couple of high frets... 16 and 17. The 55 point inspection missed it.

I wanted to exchange it for another one, but Sweetwater told me there won't be any more until September!!! ('Rona related). They offered to ship it back to them to fix and resend back to me at no charge, but I decided to keep it and try my hand at fixing it myself. I already have all the tools necessary. It was a relatively easy fix. Otherwise, it is a beautiful, lightweight, great sounding, fun, easy to play guitar.

It does indeed have mild neck dive.

[​IMG]

6. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Maybe it doesn’t matter but the veneer on the sg s w trans finishes look terrible. Also the backs of the lp s.

Rocco Crocco and sunking101 like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Well I got one on sale at a local store :D

All good - has flawless finish and setup - looks and plays great.
    The Pro Bucker pups are good medium output vintage style.

PLUS - even bigger suprise - there's no neck dive at all - balances perfect.
    Great value for $$ SG imo - highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Well if you look at my pics above you'll see the colour change between the veneer and sides appears bigger in videos and most photos. Seen live it's hardly noticeable and I really like the high gloss veneer finish. Finish detail on mine is flawless :D

musicman1 likes this.
  9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Maybe they should up it to a 57 point inspection. :rolleyes:

10. soma

soma Member

Was worried about the veneer but mine is coming today and if it's anything like in the pics above I'll happily live with it. Although I might want to de-shine it a bit down the line!

Waxhead likes this.
  11. scott58

scott58 Member

Nice looking and the price is certainly right. I'd check it out.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. soma

soma Member

My '61 SG arrived. Kudos for a Sunday delivery less than 24hrs after I ordered from Gear4Music!

Looks great. Light as a feather. Neck dive is slight and really not an issue at all.

Board was dry and felt sticky and action was too low so cleaned it and conditioned it. So much gunk - presumably dye - came off.

Even after cleaning and wiping off and cleaning again after 20mins of playing with new strings these were my fingers.

[​IMG]

Tones are decent. I'm sure better pickups would bring it to life but will keep stock for a long as possible.

There's a bit of rattle in a couple of places on the fretboard but it probably needs a bit of a setup.

Overall it's well worth the money but will need some tweaking out of the box.

Threw on some jam tracks and played about and after a while it started to loosen up and respond better. Hopefully a bit of breaking in will work wonders

HoboMan likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Congrats - yeah same thing with the dirty fret board on mine.
    After 2 cleans it was all gone.

No rattles on mine and the setup was good.
    Mine also has zero neck dive with a leather strap.
    Setup is the stores responsibility imo

Sure it would benefit from a pup ugrade and most guitars do anyway.
    Stock pups are quite ok imo for a mid range priced guitar.
    Enjoy :)

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  14. soma

soma Member

Attacked the truss rod last night and it is vastly improved.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Well done :)

Honeymoon period is still on but as usual I'm thinking .... if I did X or Y I could improve it even further.

The stock Epi Pro Bucker pups are good but then I saw a cheap set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for sale in US.
    Sooooo couldn't resist and they'll arrive from US in a few weeks.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/singl...s=6&pa_position=set&pa_output=vintage,vintage

And this will be my only mod to this SG - really doesn't need anything else cos it has all the basics of a great SG.

All SGs need is a few pieces of mahogany stuck together, high quality CTS electrics and pups with decent nut, frets and tuners. There's nothing else to them :D

16. Daka3

Daka3 Member

I’ve had a Pro fretjob on my 2020 ebony V. I spent a few days tweaking the (double action) truss rod to my ideal amount of relief. Now it plays and sounds .... really well! The Probuckers, to my ears, have a quite charming little chirp in the top end that I really like, and the CTS harness allows for musically useful tweaks on the fly. I’m good with these pickups. All in all, a sensible 58-style V solution for a fraction of Gibby CS prices. Small fraction, even.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Have you opened the control cavity? The pickups in my epiphone "inspired by" V had clips like a Gibson, something to be aware of. Not a huge deal, but you will have to circumvent.

Once the fingerboard is properly cleaned and hydrated, the build and specs on these new epiphone units is quite good. The stock pickups aren't even all that bad - sort of remind of a set of Gibson 57 classic+. Of course, those pearly gates are going to be better!

Should be a fun guitar to play - enjoy!

Waxhead likes this.
  18. soma

soma Member

I'm not loving the pickups - they do have a nice narrow 'Goldilocks zone' though but for me not usable throughout their full range. DO any pickups have the

Am I right in thinking changing to 50s wiring is just one wire move on the pots away?

19. Daka3

Daka3 Member

It is my understanding that these guitars are wired in 50's wiring from the factory. My controls certainly respond like my other 50's wired guitars.

20. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My question about the newest Epi SG's is "Do the necks wobble like on some Gibson SG's and go out of tune easily?"