Request help on Pull-offs

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by naccoachbob, Apr 20, 2016.

1. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

I've been playing guitar on and off for 40+ years, and now am focused on fingerstyle play, where hammer ons and pull-offs come in to play a lot.
    Right now I'm doing some of Toby Walker's D pack songs where things are in drop D tuning.
    But one song from Stefan Grossman, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", also in drop D, requires a lot of pull-offs while holding the open D chord. Notable among these are the 3rd fret B string and 2nd fret E string.
    I'm absolutely failing at this.
    I have a short video that I'll post here where I'm trying to make those pull offs, and am requesting any input that anyone might have to help me get over this hump.
    I can do pull offs with single strings all day long. That's not an issue. It's where I'm making a chord and holding the chord during the pull offs that give me grief.
    The video was sent to Toby, so I mention his name in the video. He has responded, and he is saying something about making sure the other fingers are not coming into contact with the other strings. I'm not clear here, but I have the other fingers steadily on their appropriate strings and they don't impinge with the string in question.
    So thank you all for any input you have. I know I will beat this, but maybe others can see what I don't see, and help me go thru it faster.
    Thank you in advance,
    Bob

2. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Your other fretting hand fingers are touching/damping the string when you try to do the hammer ons and pull offs. Be sure to fret very articulately using the very tip of your fingers and watch the angles- they should drop straight down on the fretboard. Also, perhaps try playing the lines but only only using 2 strings and 2 fingers at a time, ex: G and B, or B and E strings, before trying it with all 3 strings and all 3 fingers in the D chord shape.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Try scooching your fingers up to the frets, not on top, but rather adjacent to. Right now it looks like a couple of fingers are back pretty far from the frets. This may help a bit.
    Have you tried another guitar?