Request - How to set up home audio

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by spyeman, May 7, 2015.

1. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

Wonder if the good and knowledgeable brothers at TGP can suggest something.

I have not bought a home stereo system in 30+ years, so I am in the dark as how to achieve what I want. I play a Kemper, and simply want a very good sounding and loudish setup that I can play along with at home in my basement or family room, both of which are fairly large. Really just want two great speakers, and something to hook up either an Ipod or my computer where my music is stored. What's the best setup?

Buy two large stereo speakers and a power amp which would accept the computer/ipod?

Buy two powered speakers and somehow connect my ipod/computer to those (don't know how to do that.....)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

What is your budget? The sky is the limit really. You can spend a few hundred dollars, to thousands, to tens of thousands.

3. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

There are lots of ways to do what you need. Here's what I do with my Ultra based rig.

I hook up my Ultra, bass DI, drum machine, keyboards, edrums, and recorder to a passive mixer. I take the mix to a power amp and then to the speakers.

I used a set of big JBL stereo speakers with 15" drivers for many years. Not all home stereo speakers can handle the thumps that musical instruments can dish out.

When I blew a driver a couple of months ago I decided to replace the JBLs with small PA speakers designed for live musical instruments. I ended up with a set of Yamaha club 112's and a sub that sound great and are barely pushed at reasonably loud volumes in my little room.

Whether you end up going active or passive speakers, I would get a mixer to easily tie everything together.

4. stevel

stevel Member

In this day and age, I'd buy two QSC K10s (or12s) and a little passive mixer.

5. spyeman

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I don't want to mix my Kemper rig with the "music rig" - just want a simple but good quality setup to play music from my Ipod/Computer. My budget would probably be in the 1k range tops, maybe $300-$400 per speaker, and whatever I need to hook up the ipod/computer to the speakers.

6. UncleFestis

UncleFestis Member

I use active studio monitors with a USB audio interface to my laptop. It's in your budget and can also be used for recording with the right software.

I'd spend $200 on the audio interface and the rest on the monitors.

7. foppy

foppy Member

8. Randy

Randy Member

I'm still not sure that I truly understand the question, but what I think you're saying is that your Kemper rig is already amplified in some other way... you just want to be able to amplify audio from your iPod loud enough to play along with that rig (whatever it is)? Correct?

If so, what is your Kemper rig and how loud are you playing...?

9. spyeman

Hey, thanks for the ideas, I'm starting to get the picture, doing some research on items I really never used before, such as a mixer, etc.

Randy, you are correct, my Kemper rig is Kemper with 50w power amp into a ported 2x12, I just want a great sounding audio system to play along with, I play reasonably loud in the house, pretty much at band level, don't know how to quantify it exactly.

Looks like I could get by with studio monitors with a mixer, or a pair of floor speaker (such as a Klipsch) and hook that up to a power amp/receiver.

Still not sure what will be the best way, any other thoughts or ideas welcome

10. Randy

Randy Member

I use a power amp into a pair of JBL monitors (older - 4408's). You really don't need a mixer if you're just amplifying a single signal. You can go right from the headphone out into a power amp, and while I know the impedance match might not be optimal doing this, it works just fine, although the 1/8" headphone connection is flimsy.

A better option (and what I now do) is using the USB audio output from a computer into an audio converter, then out into a power amp. I use the PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL which is a great little unit for a bunch of applications. This is a much cleaner signal and you gain the ability to transfer audio in and out of your computer for recording etc...

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

All of the above will work fine as a "play-along" system. These are basically like smaller PA systems.

Option Two would be to go on Craigslist or other sites, and pick up decent used stereo equipment: a 100w receiver or integrated amp (they have the pre-amp and power amp together) plus some big tower speakers. Plug your device in, and blast away.

Some newer amps like that have a dedicated input for an iPod. If not, get a cable and run it into one of the other RCA-plug inputs in the back.

People tend to sell decent stereo stuff for cheap when it's used. Especially when they are moving next week and it's really gotta go.

=K