[Request] I would like to see your custom-order USA G&L guitars. Post 'em if you've got 'em?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SC FiveNineFour, Jul 6, 2018.

1. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

The model doesn't matter, as long as it's a custom ordered, Made In Fullerton USA guitar.

If you feel like it, I would greatly appreciate some personal info from you about your particular instrument, the shop you ordered through and any experience with customer service after the sale. If you don't want to share any of that, that's fine. Just plop down some pictures and head on out.

Thank you all in advance. :banana

rauchman likes this.
  2. Strat87

Strat87 Member

Ok, here's my ASAT Special Semi Hollow

[​IMG]

Mine is swamp ash, semi hollow w/ F holes, dual fulcrum trem, classic C plus neck w/ rosewood fretboard and matching headstock, turquoise flake finish, black pickguard/ cream pickup covers. I saved money by going with the basic neck finish, but if I had gone with a maple board I would have sprung for the tinted gloss. I only wish block inlays were an option when I ordered, because I would have done blocks and binding if that were the case. At some point I'll order a Doheney and that will be B&B.

I ordered from a local shop after playing a few they had in stock to try different neck profiles. They knocked whatever % off MSRP and I was content, no back and forth and no shopping around. Turn around was supposed to be 2-3 months and ended up being 5 weeks, which was a pleasant surprise. 10/10 would recommend spec'ing one out if you have specific needs, I know I'll order another in a few years.

3. hlarry14

hlarry14 Supporting Member

Well, I didn't custom order it, but it was custom ordered as a charity auction guitar benefitting MusiCares. I won the auction that was held at the Guitar Town concert at Copper Mountain in Colorado in 2012 - an ASAT Classic Bluesboy:

At the time, I understand this color (Sonic Blue) was only available as a custom order although I've seen them since, so maybe it became a standard color later. I think the matching headstock was also a custom feature, and the Guitar Town logo is under the finish. The main custom feature is the signatures from all the performers at the show, including Eric Johnson, Lee Roy Parnell, John Jorgenson, Doyle Dykes, Phil Keaggy and several others:

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

I ordered this one back in 2002 - the now-discontinued "ASAT Special Deluxe" model. This being an early one had a body of "American Tila" - which as I understand it is a species in the basswood family - under the maple top. When I bought it I was picking between this model and the EBMM Axis SuperSport MM90 model. The order process was simple (through a small mom & pop store in Lexington, KY) and it was a great guitar; I even popped the small upcharge to get the tolex case instead of the molded case they were using at the time. This is one guitar that I wish I had kept - I sold it along with 3 other guitars to buy a Gibson '59 Reissue Les Paul in 2003 about 13 months after I got the G&L. The Gibson was one of those "I've always wanted one" deals, but I never bonded with it as well as I did the G&L, and the LP was sold after only a few months to fund a new AC unit for the house we owned at the time.

[​IMG]

manimal, The_Whale, rauchman and 5 others like this.
  5. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

These are all great, so far. I seriously appreciate these pics and the bits of information behind each guitar. I am inching closer to putting in a custom order, and this definitely helps.

Keep them coming, please.

:worthless

6. Akwingnut

Akwingnut Member

I ordered this ASAT Bluesboy 90 through Music Store Live. They were great to work with.

#1 Hard maple neck
    Swamp Ash body
    Transparent orange finish
    Rosewood board
    Medium jumbo frets
    Locking tuners
    Mint pickguard
    P90 neck pup
    Standard ASAT bridge pup
    Belly cut
    Arm cut

It’s a bit heavy, but it’s my favorite electric ever.

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I got it used, so I didn't special order it, but it was clearly special ordered by someone:
    [​IMG]

8. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

Man. Both of those are really, really nice. Love that orange.

I had been looking at Music Store Live for this so it's nice to know they're good to work with.

Just waitin' to see a blue burst or black burst coming along...

9. Strat87

Strat87 Member

If you haven't already check out their instagram account, they have tons of pics of custom ordered instruments

rauchman, ant_riv and SC FiveNineFour like this.
  10. jklotz

jklotz Member

FWIW, I ordered a guitar from music store live a while back. We had a miscommunication and it didn't get shipped out when it should have. I say miscommunication because it could have been them or me not being clear, neither of us could find the cause. In any event, they didn't hesitate to overnight it to me, on their dime, which they did not have to do. In my book, they are a solid shop to handle the order, and I'm sure they will treat you right.

11. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

I did see that, as well as their Facebook page. It's just not the same as pictures from from people like you and me.

Sounds good. I've heard good and bad about them, but that generally goes for most shops out there. I just want to make sure that if I do end up custom ordering one, I can be confident in the middle man. Sounds like that'll be the case. :)

12. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

[​IMG]

I traded for the Comanche, but I ordered the Legacy custom for myself something like a decade or so ago. Cool as it was, it also taught me not to custom order a guitar before I knew every single detail of what I like in a guitar. Picking out a few key features and sort of choosing the "default" for the rest left me with something I wasn't 100% into, which was an expensive mistake. Took me years to go custom again after this, which was probably the smart decision. To G&L's credit, the guitar itself was top notch and sounded amazing.

13. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

Those are beautiful. Thanks for the picture.

I should probably just go and find a store where I can play a bunch of them. It just isn't all that easy when you live out in the boonies. :(

14. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

So what did you learn? What would you have done differently? I've considered doing something similar, ordering a guitar to my specs, but using defaults for things I'm not sure about, like neck shape.

SC FiveNineFour likes this.
  15. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

ASAT Classic Blueburst on ash with ebony board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

manimal, The_Whale, rauchman and 2 others like this.
  16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Haven't had a G&L in years but have always been drawn to the Comanche...and you have a nice one there!

First dibs if you ever sell ;).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  17. SC FiveNineFour

SC FiveNineFour Member

Love the way this thread is going.

Keep them coming!

18. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

What a cool thread. The Custom Shop is truly awesome. I’ve spent some time with Dave over there and trust me, you guys are in VERY good hands!

19. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

I guess I learned more than anything else that the neck is absolutely everything. I knew what color, woods, pickups, and hardware I wanted, but I kinda blanked and picked some "standard" profile, radius, and frets. What I would have done differently is just not order anything custom at that point in time. The smarter move would have been to spend more time playing different guitars and necks and establishing real preferences on thickness, nut width, back profile, fretboard radius, scale length, etc. before throwing money down.

I've gone custom 4 times now. The first two were kind of flops for me (but not bad guitars at all!) due to my own decisions and lack of clear vision, but my most recent two were faaaar better. Both were based around the neck first and foremost, and I had clear ideas about what specific type of guitar in terms of feel, looks, and sound that I was trying to achieve. I don't just go custom for the thrill of it anymore.

20. Agramal

Agramal Member

Good luck there. I remember wanting to do the same, and only one store in NYC - a tiny annoying shop in Manhattan - even carried any.