Requesting help - '62 celluloid pickguard on a '57 strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TGF, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TGF

TGF Member

It seems like I've found my dream pickguard. The owner of an internet shop told me that he originally had put aside 2 '62 tortoise pickguards for himself, back when Fender made the nice red and black tortoise (as opposed to brown now) but that he was willing to let one of them go for me - Here's the deal, my strat is an SRV Sig and thus only accepts 8 hole pickguards.
    '62 pickguards have 11 holes.

Now, putting a '62 guard on my SRV would mean that I could fit in 6 screws. 3 on the top, and 3 on the bottom. The sides would be left exposed (but could be covered with sawed off screws). Would that be adequate? I was told I could just drill the extra holes in the guitar, but I'd rather not do that to my strat. Are there any cons with leaving the sides on a celluloid guard "unscrewed"?

2. Bob V

Bob V Member

It can warp. The celluloid material shrinks, and if the other layers are a different material (vinyl now, not sure what your NOS piece would be made of) then it will warp unless it's screwed down. I have a pair of celluloid tortoise guards from Warmoth. The one on the guitar is fine, but the spare started to warp in less than two months, so I'm storing it taped flat between two thin boards.

I'd also be concerned with the pickups flapping around a little affecting the tone.

SO if you're concerned about being "all original" of course you don't want to drill, but for 'players' as opposed to collectors, a few screw holes hidden by the pickguard won't be a sin.

Tortoise on sunburst is a good thing. Seems like you'd be converting the SRV into a Roadhouse (my '97 came with Texas Specials and a red/black pepperoni colored tortoise guard).

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

Terrapin has a red tortoise (vinyl) and could cut you the 8-hole guard...

4. TGF

TGF Member

Terrapin doesn't have that tortoise style - No-one has. Only place I've seen it is at Fender and I've been told they stopped selling that particular style years ago.

But yeah, I am thinking about just drilling the holes to fit, but I'm still uneasy about it. It's not that I don't want the value to go down, because I won't ever sell it, but there's still something wrong with drilling in my brand new strat. But I guess thats what I'll have to do if I want to keep the pickguard more than a few months?

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

acmeguitarworks.com carries an 8-hole, tortoise pickguard, though it is out of stock, right now.

6. TGF

TGF Member

I went ahead and drilled holes in it so I could fasten all screwholes. End result = Pure win. It looks so ******* good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]