Resale value of American Hamers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Krank, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Krank

Krank Member

I've read that Hamers don't keep their price nearly as well as Fenders and Gibsons - any truth to this? Not that I'd want that to be a prime consideration, but it's nice to think of when buying an expensive instrument.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Yes, it's very true. They do NOT hold their value, a little like Carvins that way. So, if you buy a used one, you're in like flint!

3. Krank

Krank Member

Well, how can that be - they're quality instruments, and have been around for quite some time (1970s)? Could it be it's because in terms of production capacity they're below affording to really market and brand themselves, yet above 'boutique' level? Maybe the cheap XT series is all most people know of them.

Or maybe they should have just placed that pup switch differently?

4. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Who knows why...not as much name recognition as "the big three"?

I got my Monaco used (but "like new") for a great price so I'm not complaining. Same thing with my McInturff.

I say find the one you want and look for a used one.

Case in point: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=373717

My guess is that axe blows the doors off any gibson or PRS...IMO, YMMV, of course.

5. K-man

K-man Member

Because people have the misconception that only Gibson and Fender make quality instruments. In my opinion neither of them come close to the quality you get with a Hamer.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

How many kids (of all ages) are buying Hamers because their heroes use them?

As opposed to Gibson and Fender who have countless high-profile users.

It's that simple.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

It's true. Just look at the prices on Ebay, the Emporium and on the Hamer forum. You can pick up lots of great Hamers for under $1000.

Most boutique guitars don't hold their value well either. That's why buying used is the way to go.

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

Horrible resale, just horrible. First hand, recent experience talking. Great instruments though, so used ones are probably one of the best deals going.

9. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

HamerUSA makes some really nice guitars. Probably not as hip to be playing one as a Gibby or Fender in some eyes...but the quality is just first rate for a production guitar. I've heard some people say they hate the headstocks and remind them of boat paddles...I think they're fine. I bought a great studio archtop used for about $700 and a brand new NAMM Monaco bass at a highly discounted price. I don't see myself letting these go, definitly keepers. But as far as resale, yup...you'd take a hit if you paid new price.

If you want one, find the right one before laying down the cash and plan on keeping it.
    :RoCkIn

10. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

part of the resale value question may have something to do with spec'ing them as a custom order and paying an upcharge for certain features that someone else may not hold as valuable. like an unusual custom color or different inlays or even different pickups. it depends on where you buy them new also. some dealers like to charge close to list for store stock models (i can think of one in particular that hangs out here among other message boards) while most seem to discount in the 30-40% of list range.
    on the used market they are killer deals as the build quality and materials are top notch. the used prices on most models seem to have been inching up lately too.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I bet you can rock some AC/DC on either one of those!:BEER

12. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

13. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I bought a Hamer USA Special FM used a few years ago...keep in mind this is one of the cheaper USA Hamers. I paid just under $600. The quality of the Hamers is just incredible for the money. I own and like Gibsons, but honestly...the Hamers are made better. One look in the control cavity shows you the detail that goes into them.
    As far as resale value...I have seen it going up a little lately, but it is all about the name. Do not make the mistake as many do that the big name has to be better because it is more expensive. It is not.
    Someone else mention Carvin. They are correct. Carvins are great too (I have owned manY0 and while I think the Hamers are a little better made, the Carvins have the same problem...the name. There are some great values in Carvin...maybe better deals than Hamer right now.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

I just picked up this Monaco Elite from the Emporium. I would never have bought it new due to the cost, but it was a very good deal used. This will be my second Hamer. They are addicting as I'm sure Bluesman69 could attest to. :)

[​IMG]

15. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I can attest to that and the fact that is an awesome Hamer you got there!!!

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

Good eye! Those are Duncan Phat Cat Humbucker sized P-90s that originally came on the guitar. It now has Fralin Zebras in it. The other differences on this guitar versus your typical Monaco Elite is that it was a custom order and has all chrome hardware and locking Schaller tuners.

[​IMG]

17. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I'll comment since XKnight's gain is my loss. It was custom ordered by another TGP member "mrmojorisin" He ordered it with all chrome hardware, Tone Pros bridge, locking Schaller tuners, and the Duncan Phat Cats you see installed. It's also pretty light at 8.9 lbs. I sold the Phat Cats back to "mrmojorisn" and installed a set of Fralin 9k/8k humuckers. The guitar plays and sounds great. I had a McNaught that I traded to "mrmojorisn" for two Hamers, the MonEl and a Supro. The only reason I sold it is to fund a McInturff that I've had my eye on. I think a McInturff may be the best second hand deal to be had, with Hamer just behind. I just love the Mild "V" neck carve on the McInturff...it's perfect for me.

-SF

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

:BEERThanks for the very fair deal on the Hamer and the insight. :AOKSpeaking of McInturff guitars, I agree that they are absolutely the best deal in the used market. Here is my latest McInturff which I happened to pick up in a trade right here on TGP. :)

[​IMG]

19. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I think Hamer resale has been slowly creeping up and I think before long it will be better yet. Hamer's prices have been rising and their production has stayed about the same in overall numbers. They are making more models and there are fewer examples of each model around. There also seems to be greater awareness of Hamer's quality

20. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I don't buy a guitar for the resale value, and I've never been disappointed with any of the Hamers I've purchased over the last 25 years. Regardless of what the general experience seems to be, I've NEVER lost a penny on any Hamer I've sold - and I've sold dozens.

That being said, if I decided to sell one of my most recent higher-end custom order Hamers, sure, I'd probably have a tough time breaking even on it, but I don't need to sell them and frankly don't see that ever being a concern. I have a lot of friends who have lost their shirts on certain PRS guitars and Fender Custom Shop models thinking that they'd skyrocket in value over the short haul.

You can really say that pretty much every brand has issues when/if you need to resell them. My advice is that you shouldn't buy something like that as an investment if that's your goal. There are certain models that hold their value and even a small handful that actually appreciate in value, but the whole guitar market is extremely fickle. New guitars of any stripe, boutique builder stuff and "collectors editions"/"limited editions" are more than likely going to catch you short when or if you need to sell. Stick to the vintage stuff that actually will appreciate in value during your lifetime. I made out like a bandit with that stuff in the '80s and '90s, and the market wasn't nearly what it has been in the last few years.

I agree with Arnie that Hamer resale has been climbing steadily over the last few years and the word is getting out. Just like anything else though, don't expect to jump in and make a killing. Buy what you like, what feels and plays best for you and enjoy the hell out of it!