"Rescuing" a Cat?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2HBStrat, Sep 19, 2019.

1. scott58

scott58 Member

I know I'm gonna get some crap for this, but I've had cats most of my adult life clawed and declawed. The only difference I see is $3000 dollars in furniture. It's a procedure like anything else. Not sure where the cruel comes from. All my cats have claws right now, but my last declawed one lived 25 years and he was a pretty happy cat. No different then any other procedure he had to go through. Certainly no different then getting his nuts cut off.

MERKS, Mangy71 and Floyd Eye like this.
  2. 100JH

100JH Member

I rescued this cat once off of the Jersey Turnpike. Let that dude off in Manhattan and he made sure I was straight! ;)

DCross likes this.
  3. NotWesYet

NotWesYet Member

I always take them in. You never know what happened to the owner that may have resulted in the animal being lost.

I had one I rescued and I looked for months for the owner. I eventually got a call in response to an inquiry with a vet many miles away. The woman described the cat, described where he was in my apartment and his behavior. Turns out it was her son's cat and he had been killed in a car accident. The cat ran away and had been missing for a year. He came back to my apartment as it was his first.

I read that a non neutered and non spayed female cat result in over two hundred offspring in just a few years. Also, un neutered feral male cats have a life expectancy of less than two years due to injury from fighting, getting hit my vehicles while chasing females... it is astounding (and does sound a lot like musicians, too!)

After a nearby apartment complex was emptied and everyone put out on the street (just legal maneuver to be able to resell) all their animals wound up in the neighborhood. I found homes for the several dogs and would up with a half dozen adults and a few weeks later 18 kittens.

Eventually, all found a home and I have had 30 either spayed or neutered. To this day, someone drops off an old male cat, often sick and dying because they know I will take them in. I have five of my own and five of the old gentlemen enjoying the cat retirement village here.

The vets always help and had me classified as a "Custodian of a Feral Cat Colony." Apparently, it permits them to prescribe medicine for the gang without an individual (and costly) visit without violating any laws or codes. They have all explain feline triage, so I have gotten somewhat good at it.

It feels good to be able to help those less fortunate. I'd like to think someone would take me in if I were cold and hungry. (I just hope they don't have me neutered!)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    rockon1, sharpshooter, Azreal and 5 others like this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Member

I respect that. I'm a dog person (big dogs, actually) and so is the spousal unit. Give me a husky and I'm happy. How the hell I ended up with cats I'll never know. But now that they're here, they're family. You just work with it. The way you do with some brothers-in-law.

standard24, grill and Sam Hill like this.
  5. dspellman

dspellman Member

Oh lord, I missed that. Do NOT de-claw a cat. Ever.
    It's horrific, like cutting off your fingers -- and if you're that afraid for your furniture, adopt a turtle instead.

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

It seems to me that clipping the nails might be an answer, even if it has to be done over and over....IF a cat would let you (never tried it). But it's a big thing for Booger (killer of rodents) when he sees me filling his food dish, heads for the scratch post a few steps away for a pre-breakfast workout. It seems so natural that i couldn't deprive him of that.

7. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

That's exactly what will happen. Fewer people will be willing to adopt a cat, so more will end up euthanized. The "never declaw a cat" people seem to be ok with that though.

:hide2

8. dspellman

dspellman Member

Quite honestly, there are more cats than could ever be adopted, and they seem to do a pretty good job surviving and even replacing themselves. I know there are people out there patting themselves on the back for rescuing a cat here and there, but nabbing one to declaw doesn't earn them any thanks from me. We take them in as much for ourselves as for them.

Our cats have pretty much left our furniture alone, but they're hell on cardboard boxes. We try to make sure their nails are clipped the best we can (especially since the ballerina occasionally drops out of the sky onto my back and shoulders), and we try to provide alternatives to the couch and chairs. So far (knock on wood) they've ripped the sisal off scratching posts, but haven't looked at the leather goods.

Zeegler and Floyd Eye like this.
  9. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

We have a rescue cat, he tolerates us surprisingly well. As long as we acquiesce to all his demands.

Cat's don't need rescuing.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  10. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

Declawing is now illegal in New York (that's really recent, last month or so). I think clipping the ear is a sign of animal control trying to control the population? If they see a clipped ear they're supposed to leave the cat alone. It means it's been neutered and won't cause a feline population to spiral out of control. Where my brother lives in upstate NY that's the practice. That way the ferals can still be "barn cats" or "convenient store cats" that are well taken care of but not abandoned due to huge litters, constant mating, etc.

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Interesting,, my cat does the same.
    When she knows that the food is coming, she runs around like a dervish, then claws on a an old cheap throw-rug, (I don't mind, it's easily replaced, and she leaves everything else alone).

84superchamp likes this.
  12. Azreal

Azreal Member

Do you like that close to 3 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year because they don't have a home? Because that''s the alternative to what you currently don't like.

Floyd Eye and No457 Snowy like this.
  13. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Member

True, and at least over here in Australia there are many native birds and small native animals and lizards etc killed by feral cats and roaming domestic cats, often just for the fun of it.
    https://www.australianwildlife.org/our-work/feral-cat-and-fox-control/

14. 84superchamp

They must have a common ancestor. :cool:

15. 84superchamp

If Bob Barker read this, he would hunt you down and bring the pain...he don't mess around. :eek:

16. Emigre

Emigre Member

My nomadic (and guitaristic) life doesn’t leave room for a cat but...

I have an inner cat lady. I’m sure when I’m old there will be 50 cats in my house. Love the little critters.

I also like dogs (and all animals - I’m the guy that traps little spiders and geckos that wander in my house and go leave them outside in a shady garden patch), but there’s something about the nonchalant independent mojo of a cat that I just jive with :)

NotWesYet likes this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I think I could take him...

84superchamp likes this.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

We clip our cats nails about every two weeks. It helps. We had him where he wasn't scratching on anything, like my bad ass couches, but then the wife brought home the little kitten ( who's now 5 months old) and all bets are off. lol They both get their nails clipped regularly.

84superchamp likes this.
  19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Not a whole lot I disagree with here. Except the condescending "People patting themselves on the back" thing. Any cat rescued is a cat rescued. Declawed or not they're living a better life than they would have. Projecting your opinions on how other people deal with their cats means nothing. My parents had a cat that was declawed. Sid. He was awesome and lived a long, happy life. I've known others too. My first wife and I rescued a declawed cat. Then we rescued a cat that was living in the woods who turned out to be pregnant. Before we could afford to get her fixed she got pregnant again. So we ended up with 2 litters, 14 cats, all of whom had to be taken to get spayed/neutered a couple at a time as we could afford it. The declawed cat, Polly, who we rescued eating out of a dumpster on south Broadway, lived a perfectly happy life with the rest of the cats we had. I've rescued too many cats to remember. And I'm not patting myself on the back, but I don't care if you do, or if anyone else does. Pat away, as long as you helped an animal you're alright by me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    scott58 likes this.
  20. 84superchamp

Much admiration, it can't be easy. :aok
    Got a payoff from non-trimmed Booger today; went into the shop to feed him and right there in the walkway, where i couldn't miss it, 2 (two!) dead mice. I laid the praise on him.

Floyd Eye likes this.