Reshaping a strat headstock into a tele?

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
how big of an operation would this be? Has anyone done it? I guess it would be possible, as the tele shape is technically 'contained' within the strat's...

I'm looking at a used replacement neck for my tele. All specs are perfect except for the damn headstock shape..

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
how big of an operation would this be? Has anyone done it? I guess it would be possible, as the tele shape is technically 'contained' within the strat's...

I'm looking at a used replacement neck for my tele. All specs are perfect except for the damn headstock shape..
Be mindful of the Strat and tele heel shape differences too. The tele is squared off and the the Strat has a rounder heel.

The headstock can be done but it's pretty tricky to get the shape right by hand. I tried once with a non fender neck when I was a teenager and it didn't end well lol

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Be mindful of the Strat and tele heel shape differences too. The tele is squared off and the the Strat has a rounder heel
Right, but the strat heel fits the tele body, and since it's a 22-fret neck the overhang hides the little gaps. Maybe it's for another thread, but I have zero concern about 'losing tone'...

swiveltung

Shouldn't be a big deal. I cant remember if I did it once or if I just layed it out and didn't go thru with it. But the little notch where the Strat round end joins below the decal is very close to interfering with the Tele shape just barely. You might have to cheat just a bit.

Ron Kirn

I dunno.. but for some reason that Dean Headstock reminds me of the ObGyn I played Golf with last week... strange.. :p

rk

PGrant

I think the obvious question is, if you're looking at a replacement neck, why not just get a telecaster neck to begin with?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
How big an operation for who? For me, impossible. For a repair shop, not too hard.

I once bought an aftermarket neck from a guitar store that's had an emphasis on being a repair shop, often everyone that worked there was a repair guy. A strat neck they had, and I was putting it on a Tele. They offered to reshape it to a Tele, they were friends and I think would have done it for no extra charge. I just said I didn't care because, well, I didn't. (Not saying you shouldn't.)

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
This is a Mighty Mite strat neck that was cut down on a band saw.Might Mites are $99. Kramer necks were a lot more. The original Kramer beaks were cut down strat heads, so I knew it would work. I traced it out from another one I have and my dad cut it on a band saw and I finished by hand sanding.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
I'd keep the Strat shape just to be a bit different!

Trending Topics