Resistance question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by supergenius365, Jul 10, 2006.

1. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I don't know enough about pick ups to figure this out:

How can 2 pick ups with the same resistance (in this case around 10) have noticably different levels of output from each other?

I have a Phat Cat P90 in one guitar and a DiMarzio Solo in another. Obviously 2 different types of pick ups will sound different, but the P90 gives a nice crunch while the single coil is a tinny whimper.

Thanks

2. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Magnet strength, winding pattern, winding tension, and many other factors all contribute to the sound and output of pickup. If it's truly a tinny whimper it might have an open coil or be damaged in some other way.

Chris

3. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Add magnet type (alnico, ceramic) and wire size (gauge) to Chris' list...

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Besides, even if magnets, wire, etc. were the same, bear in mind that the VV Solo is a stack type pu, which means that the 10+ kohm resistance corresponds to the two coils in series, the top active one and the bottom hum-cancelling one, which not only doesn't contribute to the sound, it also reduces it a little bit. Actually the Solo is quite hot for a single coil, about the same output as a PAF, but obviously a P90 is noticeably hotter than that.

Notice also that Virtual Vintage pu's have very low magnetic pull and are meant to be installed very close to the strings. From DiMarzio's FAQ:

At the highest fret the closest recommended distances from the top of the magnet to the bottom of the string are:

Neck and middle pickups

low E 3/32” (2.4mm)
    high E 1/16” (1.6mm)

Bridge pickup

low E 1/16” (1.6mm)
    high E 3/64” (1.2mm)

These settings will provide a lot of presence and attack. For a more open 1950s sound, try adjusting the pickups 1/32” (0.8mm) further from the strings.

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice! I had my guitar set up, but the pickups are obviously much lower than those settings just by eye balling it.

Thanks!
    J