Resistor as dummy load

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CubanB, Feb 15, 2015.

1. CubanB

CubanB Member

If you want to simulate an 8 or 16 ohm dummy load with one large power resistor, what should it's ohm rating be?

Thanks

2. xtian

xtian Member

It must be able to dissipate whatever the amp is dishing out. Double the rating to be safe, especially if you're going to run it long and hard. I use a 200 watt dummy load when testing amps with a sine wave. The resistors get hot pretty quickly at full output of a 100 watt amp.

What's your intention for the dummy load?

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Is that a trick question?

8ohm load = 8 ohm power resistor

4. xtian

xtian Member

Thanks, Russ! Obviously, I read the question as I thought it should have been written!

5. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

My thought exactly, tricky in at least 3 ways:

(1) If you want to simulate an 8 or 16 ohm dummy load... If I wanted to simulate a dummy load, I could use toilet paper tubes and string.

(2) an 8 or 16 ohm dummy load with one large power resistor... I get one resistor to provide two different resistances? Tricky...

(3) If you want to simulate an 8 or 16 ohm... what should it's ohm rating be? Wait, what?

All good, though, I think xtian got him fixed up with the first response!

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The problem depends on how long you want to wait for parts and how much you want to spend. A 200w Wirewound resistor at 8 ohms is available... done! Or you could build a network of 20w Radio Shack resistors (building them in a 4 resistor series/parallel network gives you the same rating, say 10 ohms, as each resistor. Two 20 ohm, 4 resistor networks in parallel would give you 8 ohms, at 160w. Two 10 ohm networks in series would give you 20 ohms at 160w.

7. CubanB

CubanB Member

No trick question intended, but I did read something a while back about using higher loads (like 15-20 ohms for 8ohms) because it would a mimick a speaker more accurately across it's audio range because with a speaker the impedance varies at different frequencies, unlike a resistor that would be more constant. Having gone back and looking at it, I think this was more for tone purposes, like when running the attenuator in parallel with a speaker. Apparently Weber Airbrake does something like this, but I'm not exactly sure.

There seems to be a complex relationship between all of the factors, that is way beyond my understanding.

Yeah, I'll look for an 8 or 16 ohm 200W resistor. I guess there's a lot of options in terms of using smaller ones, having them switchable or reactive loads but for now simplest option would be best I think. I just want to be able to do some tests without having to worry about the volume a speaker gives.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

For bench work a passive load, as required, is fine.
    However, if you are analyzing complex wave forms the reactance of the load becomes a factor. Then it all gets extremely messy.

9. Trout

Trout Member

You might want to try this?
    Oil Cooled DIY dummy load.

10. CubanB

CubanB Member

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Most of what I've read mirrors your statements, ideally a higher load seems to be better. A quick look at the impedance curve of a typical speaker sort of backs that up. Tube amps can usually manage a bit of a low mismatch, if you just want to run some quick tests you'd have to think you'd be fine with an 8ohm resistor on the 8 ohm tap.

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Look at my resistor, called the Tone Shaft™ :D

[​IMG]

13. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

^^LOOK^^AT^^HIS^^RESISTOR!^^

14. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

15. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

So it's a resistor envy situation?

I thought only girls had that problem.

16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I was reading a thread earlier about re-amping a dummy load for playing at home. Hogy from Komet amps, said to use a 25ohm resister for a 16ohm output.

17. matt1969

matt1969 Member

I have a 100 watt marshall superlead. I have one 16 ohm 4X12 & a 16 ohm / 100 watt power resistor in parallel as a dummy load. This knocks the volume down quite a bit. I set the amp to 8 ohms. two 16 ohm loads in parallel = 8 ohm total. 100 watt power rating works for this because it is seeing 1/2 of the total power.

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Member