Resistor orientation: color codes

lang.murphy

Is the orientation/direction of color codes on resistors important?

Mfg gut shot:

This amp's gut shot:

TIA!

Lang

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Oh no, that will never do! Those bands clearly are aligned to point to the east; they must point west towards Silicon Valley and Fullerton or you risk sounding all micro-tonal.

Seriously, it don't make a sh1t.

Kyle B

With due respect my man....
Pure conjecture but --- If you're poking around in there trying to "fix" your amp by comparing it to a manufacturers gut shot, and you're asking if resistors are polarized, you probably ought put the cover back on and take it to a pro. A tube amp is a really really bad place to learn electronics -- That's what pedals and guitars are for!

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Pure conjecture but --- If you're poking around in there trying to "fix" your amp by comparing it to a manufacturers gut shot, and you're asking if resistors are polarized, you probably ought put the cover back on and take it to a pro. A tube amp is a really really bad place to learn electronics -- That's what pedals and guitars are for!
Nonsense! Everyone has to start somewhere. I wouldn't go trying to design and build your own. But simply modding your amp is fun and doesn't really require much more than the knowledge on how to safety discharge high voltage, and how to read instructions. Lang the way, you'll learn some interesting stuff. Biggest warning of all, it's addictive ;)

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions either. I've asked my fair share. Some people will scoff, others will be very helpful.

icr

Send it back, they screwed up! I bet it sounds pretty bad that way, right? Your problem is the counterclockwise twist of the indicated wires. Should be clockwise, otherwise you will get the 'inverse crystal lattice effect.'

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like they were there for the 2-for-1 pot sale... Is that a teensy hum trimmer on the lamp housing assembly?

lang.murphy

Just asking a question... it went into the Orange USA shop yesterday. (Not for this question...)

Kyle B

Just asking a question... it went into the Orange USA shop yesterday. (Not for this question...)
That's cool. Hope you didn't put off by my remarks. It's not a myth that a tube amp can seriously hurt you if you touch the wrong thing. Just looking out for ya ;)

Resistors are non-polarized, meaning they have no positive or negative side. However, it does matter how you read the colored bands on them, the band closest to one end is the one's, next is the ten's, next comes the multiplier (x10, x100, x1000, x10000, etc.), the next band (or bands) are tolerance (+/- 5%, +/-10%, etc). Hope this sheds more light for you.

lang.murphy

That's cool. Hope you didn't put off by my remarks. It's not a myth that a tube amp can seriously hurt you if you touch the wrong thing. Just looking out for ya ;)
Not put off at all, Kyle. I will probably never get into fiddling with an amp's guts. I'll def leave it to the pros!

lang.murphy

Resistors are non-polarized, meaning they have no positive or negative side. However, it does matter how you read the colored bands on them, the band closest to one end is the one's, next is the ten's, next comes the multiplier (x10, x100, x1000, x10000, etc.), the next band (or bands) are tolerance (+/- 5%, +/-10%, etc). Hope this sheds more light for you.
Thanks, Scott!

lang.murphy

Looks like they were there for the 2-for-1 pot sale... Is that a teensy hum trimmer on the lamp housing assembly?
No clue, Jeff, on the teensy hum trimmer. Although one wonders if you're pulling my leg. lol

Those pots are higher quality than the pots in the regular TT. (Or so I've read...)

Last edited:

lang.murphy

Send it back, they screwed up! I bet it sounds pretty bad that way, right? Your problem is the counterclockwise twist of the indicated wires. Should be clockwise, otherwise you will get the 'inverse crystal lattice effect.'
I thought only Dumbles utilized the crystal lattice effect? ;-)

lang.murphy

Yep... read the disclaimers all over the joint and have seen at least one vid of a dude getting zapped. I have enough problems... don't need to add getting zapped by poking around in there.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
icr, if you will notice, they avoided that problem because one set of those wires' twist is clockwise while the other is counterclockwise. That way, no matter if the amp is played in the Northern or the Southern hemisphere the **** will go down properly.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, just be careful inside a tube amp. A tube amp's power supply takes the 120vac from the outlet and converts it to nearly 500vdc to run the circuits...which can be lethal if it passes current through your heart. Even us trained & experienced techs still get bit occasionally...but at least we know why and what we're not supposed to do working with high voltage...but everyone has an occasional brain fart ;). And that's why it's safer to gain experience on low voltage circuits first as 9v won't kill you...at least that's what they did in the tech school I attended. But, then again, at tech school we'd play silly jokes on unsuspecting new students. We'd charge up a cap and lay it on a desk waiting for one of them to pick it up and get a little surprise ;).

Last edited:

Blue410

Gold Supporting Member
Nonsense! Everyone has to start somewhere. I wouldn't go trying to design and build your own. But simply modding your amp is fun and doesn't really require much more than the knowledge on how to safety discharge high voltage, and how to read instructions. Lang the way, you'll learn some interesting stuff. Biggest warning of all, it's addictive ;)

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions either. I've asked my fair share. Some people will scoff, others will be very helpful.
+1. Its not as if the OP was working on a D-clone chassis and the customer he was building it for was getting irritated because its ages overdue!

Trending Topics