Resistor Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfflam, Sep 9, 2008.

1. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I am going to replace a resistor with one who's value should be 220k at 1-Watt.

The closest that I have to that value is a Carbon comp about 237k (its supposed to be a 220k but measures at that)
    Can I run a cap in parallel or series along with it to get its value to close to exactly 220k?

and if so, what value cap would a use?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

No capacitor will help you here, I'm affraid. Also the outcome is determined a great deal by where in the circuitry these components are. You wouldn't have a schematic or so?

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Seriously, I don't think it will make much of a difference. Resistors have a +/- tolerence, and yours is less than 10% high.

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Thanks folks. Its to replace a Vox Plate Resistor.

I am replacing one at 220K and another at 100k. The latter is to bring my AC15cc to JMI specs.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you look at some tube designs, they actually use the closest common value as opposed to the ideal value. That said, it helps to know what the "ideal" is so you don't stray too far away from it. In a Vox plate resistor application I can't see it making a big difference. If it were a split-load phase invertor, or any phaser invertor now that I think, it could have a negative effect.

6. scottl

scottl Member

PM me your address. I'll send you either a carbon film 220K (no drift) or a 221K mil spec RN65 Vishay Dale. (1/2w but ok)

Your choice.

Don't use the carbon comp, IMHO.